• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pure Agony: Hem keeps getting caught in shoe.

habanos

Reaction score
Wearing a new pair of flat front pants and the hem keeps getting caught in my right shoe. No problems with the left at all just the right. I may cuff everything from now on to prevent this from ever happening again.What do you guys do in this situation?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing a new pair of flat front pants and the hem keeps getting caught in my right shoe. No problems with the left at all just the right. I may cuff everything from now on to prevent this from ever happening again.What do you guys do in this situation?

Please clarify: the cuff is catching between the shoe opening and your achilles/heel area (the gap between your heel and the inside heel of the shoe)? If this is so, and I assume you are wearing dress shoes, your dress shoes are possibly too big. Properly fitting dress shoes should not have this and should have a snug fit around your foot (including the heel).

Alternatively, if you are saying the cuff of your pants is catching the outside heel of your shoe (the shoe heel possibly slides inside the opening of the hem), then the hem of your pants are too long (You said the pants are H&M so I assume the opening is not that wide). length of hem/pant break is subject to personal preference but I typically have the hem slightly touching the shoe where the back part of the hem probably only covers 1/3" of the heel upper of the shoe.

habanos

Reaction score
To clarify the hem (the pants are not cuffed) is catching in the Achilles/heel area. I am wearing dress shoes but that issue exist from having a wide, flat foot with a narrow heel. I have never had perfect fitting shoes for my feet and unless I go bespoke I probably never will. The pants are HSM (Hart Schaffner Marx) not H&M so the opening is typical of an American Suit. My prior alteration tailor went out of business so I used another.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To clarify the hem (the pants are not cuffed) is catching in the Achilles/heel area. I am wearing dress shoes but that issue exist from having a wide, flat foot with a narrow heel. I have never had perfect fitting shoes for my feet and unless I go bespoke I probably never will. The pants are HSM (Hart Schaffner Marx) not H&M so the opening is typical of an American Suit. My prior alteration tailor went out of business so I used another.

My mistake with the H&M/HSM :D

I actually also have the wide ball/narrow heel issue but I've never had them catch the hem of my (cuffed or uncuffed) pants. I just eventually tried a variety of brands until I found a shoe maker that makes a D width shoe (to keep the heel snug) but with a wider ball area. However, I don't think getting new shoes is a pragmatic approach to your case.

In your situation, thinking maybe a tailor can make the back him longer so it does not catch? I used to have a tailor that actually did this as his 'standard' hem and not just make the standard cut parallel to the ground. I actually liked it and still do it with my fuller/straight cut suit trousers.

Wish I could be of more help and I hope you resolve it soon. My pant hem catching when I wear boots with speed hooks (have this going on today actually) and I know how annoying it can get.

Last edited:

habanos

Reaction score
As the day has moved along it seems to happen less. Oddly enough the shoes are AE Strands and the 5 last fits me great with the exception of the heel. Its tough being an E in the toebox and a C in the heel. Thanks for the recommendations.

PodrickPayne

Reaction score
Wish I could be of more help and I hope you resolve it soon. My pant hem catching when I wear boots with speed hooks (have this going on today actually) and I know how annoying it can get.

Have you a solution for the speed hooks? I'm wearing a pair of new pants today (Zanella) and just noticed the hooks have caused a pull in the hem = lots of bunching. Very unsightly and super annoying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads