• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchased 2 knit ties: what do i wear these with?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purchased two very nice knit ties from Davesmith (navy blue with light blue stripes and an all navy blue)

Can I wear these to the office on a friday? I work in finance for a very corporate firm (we wear shirt/ties/etc throughout the week). What about going out at night?

Thanks again!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:facepalm:
If you need to ask, you should just mail those to me. :p

The real difficult question should be: "What can't you wear those ties with?"
I'd gladly wear a knit tie to the most conservative of work environments.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
knit ties are great........to answer your question about casual Fridays........the most obvious questions would be........

Have you seen anyone else wear them to the office on Fridays?

If not......then you have to ask yourself some more questions.........

how long have you worked at this location?

is your business reputation well established?

If you wear this tie will everyone think.....oh there is dave, wierd tie he's wearing.....or will they think.........whose that wierd buy with the knit tie........these are two very different situations

you already know the answers to these questions.........

unfortunately we can't tell you what is going to be considered appropriate in your particular office.........

things are very different in different companies.......

at my office you could wear that tie any day of the week......by the way..........

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd wear the solid navy knit tie to the office on a casual or no-appointment Friday. In fact, I wore one today.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Worrying about what other people might think of you because of such a small thing is a very bad attitude to take to work with you. Not healthy at all. And will likely hurt your confidence and your career. The truth is, they don't really care. As long as it's within the rules, it's fine.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And that was my point......is it in this guy's office rules or not?

And yes - one absolutely should think about what is considered appropriate in their environment.

Dressing to fit in can be very good for your career as long as you do it within the context of also being self expressive. Not doing so can harm your career.

You wouldn't wear red shoes with green and purple stripes to the office would you?

It's all just a another way to show people that you have good judgement.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is about a tie, not a clown suit.
No one other than the most shallow of people ever thinks "...whose that wierd buy with the knit tie..." and if your work place is full of those types, better off finding a new work place as the culture there is just toxic. Walking out of a place like that would show good judgement.

And fitting in has more to do with how well you get along with other people in the work place and how you match the culture than how you dress. But then again this is styleforum.

Something about man with hammer, and things all look like nails and whatnot.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently I've hit a nerve.........sorry...........I actually think we are saying more or less the same thing.

All I'm trying to say is how you dress is PART of fitting in................or at least it can be........................

Sure you can dress differently than everybody else and still fit in.................................but it will be something you will then have to 'get past' instead of how you look facilitating how you fit in...........that's all................

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

knit ties are great........to answer your question about casual Fridays........the most obvious questions would be........

Have you seen anyone else wear them to the office on Fridays?

If not......then you have to ask yourself some more questions.........

how long have you worked at this location?

is your business reputation well established?

If you wear this tie will everyone think.....oh there is dave, wierd tie he's wearing.....or will they think.........whose that wierd buy with the knit tie........these are two very different situations

you already know the answers to these questions.........

unfortunately we can't tell you what is going to be considered appropriate in your particular office.........

things are very different in different companies.......

at my office you could wear that tie any day of the week......by the way..........

have you ever thought .... about forming .... proper paragraphs?

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You bought a skinny knit tie? If so pitty. The look mutch better on the normal size.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You bought a skinny knit tie? If so pitty. The look mutch better on the normal size.

Those are normal size for knits, which are almost always around 2". Perhaps you're thinking of a grenadine?

Come to think of it, I should get myself another knit tie.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I was never a big fan of knit ties, the blue stripe is sort of decent but I hate how they square off at the end, if they were pointed like a tradional necktie it would be diffrent, to me they look more like scarfs.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans & white shirt, Casual settings, etc..

Look at knit tie pics in blogs etc.. get an idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads