• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

puma speedcats

davis98

Reaction score
Im 21 years old and usually wear jeans. Thinking about picking up some puma speedcats, are they cool or no?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As an Asian, I refuse to wear Pumas. Why? Because too many Asians wear Pumas -- and ugly ones at that too.

Also, the Puma colorway has far less potential than Adidas or Asics.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
you won't wear something that's not deemed *cool* by a bunch of (for the most part) faceless internet personas? who cares, as long as *you* like them
sarcasm.gif

davis98

Reaction score
Here is my problem, I do like them, however most people I see wearing them are gay... and I dont really want to be associated with that, no offenece or anything to anyone.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my problem, I do like them, however most people I see wearing them are gay... and I dont really want to be associated with that, no offenece or anything to anyone.
Really? Most people I've seen wearing them are either Europeans or college students. Maybe my gaydar is not really well tuned, but I haven't notived a disproportionate number of gay people wearing them, nor even a disproportionate number of people in gay neighbourhoods (from Boys' Town in West Hollywood to the Castro in SF to the South End in Boston) wearing them.

Buster

Reaction score
I wear them and I am not gay ( not that there's anything wrong with it ...)
They are too ubiquitous to be cool, but I like them.

B

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with LA Guy. To think that Pumas are too gay is just as ludicrous as thinking that they are too Asian. Seriously, Pumas are popular enough that really no group can claim it as their own. If you're really worried about being misperceived as gay, I'd worry about Diesels or Jil Sanders. Not making any judgments, just letting you know about popular opinion.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, I dislike them.  They look too much like ballet shoes to me.
That being said, while I prefer Adidas to Pumas (I find that, these days especially, the regular puma models are increasingly uninspired,) my favorite sneaker range is definitely the Puma Mihara. These days, I am really into the MY-7, but the MY-5 and MY-8 are close seconds. The designs are just (for the most part) amazing. Some models from the Puma 96 Hours range are not too shabby either, although I don't find them as well constructed as the Puma Miharas.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really liked them either.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look too much like slippers to me. I don't like them. ImageWIS on this board REALLY like them. I think he has about 8 pair.

arrogant

Reaction score
Puma used to be a cool brand.....However, I think that puma shoes have been so "played-out" and have become a complete joke.

Here is the classic uniform of a complete loser and poser, who attempts to look "cool and stylish":

Von dutch trucker hat, cheap and ugly striped shirt, ugly pre distressed diesel jeans and an ugly pair of puma shoes

If I were you I would look at adidas shoes but really... anything but puma

davis98

Reaction score
lol thanks guys, I dont have any Diesel jeans, cant afford anything that expensive.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They look too much like slippers to me. I don't like them. ImageWIS on this board REALLY like them. I think he has about 8 pair.
I have 5 pair.
But some one else had a flush.
So I lost.

Seriously though, I like them, primarily because they conformable as any shoe I have ever owned, I have worn them whilst walking up and down Manhattan (at least 100 blocks walked) and my feet were perfect by nights end. Plus, they work with pants or shorts, which is important in South Florida.

Yes, they are a bit slim and the pair of white leather ones I own do resemble dancing shoes, but I offset this by sometimes wearing Adidas Y-3's and To Boot New York causal shoes, which are chunky.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads