• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pulled pork (BBQ) without a smoker

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's watch the peanut gallery double entendre this...

I do love me some BBQed pulled pork. Hard thing making it in a London apartment though, so thinking about an oven / Dutch oven recipe.

Any recommendations from the SF crew or do I need to go for the overanalysis of chowhound / egullet?

BBQ sauce recipes (Carolina or othewise) also appreciated.

K

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Do you have a slow cooker/crock pot? - Get 1.75 lb boneless pork shoulder (for laziness) - Season with dry spice if you want and cook on high for 4 hours - Take pork out and shred it with two forks or something and then put it back in the crockpot/slow cooker - Chop some garlic, vidalia onion, and scallions and put them in - Add some paprika, 2-3 tbsp of dark brown sugar, tiny bit of lemon juice, and any other herbs/seasonings you prefer - Add BBQ sauce. You can make your own or if you're lazy, i really really like this
313ysAhFZrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
I'm picky as hell with bbq sauce and i rather enjoy this. No high fructose corn syrup and much much better than standard grocery store affairs. Get it normal or hot - If you like it a bit spicier, add a bit of tabasco, red pepper flakes, fresh hot peppers or whatever - If you really want, you can add a bit of liquid smoke for a smokey bbq flavor - Mix all up in the crock pot and let sit on high for about an hour - Serve on good rolls (no cheap gas station hamburger buns) I make this occasionally because it's easy and rather cheap and my friends always really enjoy it. I think i included everything but may have forgotten since typing it and being in the kitchen is different. Nothing special to this but it's easy

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, I always smoke my pork. Mrs. Thomas generally lends a hand and samples the finished goods.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Do you have a slow cooker/crock pot?

- Get 1.75 lb boneless pork shoulder (for laziness)
- Season with dry spice if you want and cook on high for 4 hours
- Take pork out and shred it with two forks or something and then put it back in the crockpot/slow cooker
- Chop some garlic, vidalia onion, and scallions and put them in
- Add some paprika, 2-3 tbsp of dark brown sugar, tiny bit of lemon juice, and any other herbs/seasonings you prefer
- Add BBQ sauce. You can make your own or if you're lazy, i really really like this
313ysAhFZrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
I'm picky as hell with bbq sauce and i rather enjoy this. No high fructose corn syrup and much much better than standard grocery store affairs. Get it normal or hot
- If you like it a bit spicier, add a bit of tabasco, red pepper flakes, fresh hot peppers or whatever
- If you really want, you can add a bit of liquid smoke for a smokey bbq flavor
- Mix all up in the crock pot and let sit on high for about an hour
- Serve on good rolls (no cheap gas station hamburger buns)

I make this occasionally because it's easy and rather cheap and my friends always really enjoy it. I think i included everything but may have forgotten since typing it and being in the kitchen is different. Nothing special to this but it's easy

Thanks,

I dont have a crock pot, but I'm wondering if I can do something similar with a dutch oven (in the oven).

I like the sound of your recipe. I can imagine beween the slow cooking and the ingredients it would be hella tasty. Probably wont get that tender but slightly dry crust on the outside would you (I think its called bark by the BBQ fanatics)?

Bone suckin sauce is great, but unfortunately not readily available in the UK.

Originally Posted by Thomas
oh, I always smoke my pork. Mrs. Thomas generally lends a hand and samples the finished goods.

Can always count on T!

K

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cheating way is generally to slow cook it somehow in apple cider vinegar. A dutch oven in a very low oven would probably work.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
my pork rub is based largely on paprika and brown sugar, applied liberallly. Add salt, black pepper, sage, and whatever else you have on hand, and you've got a rub.

If you cook in the dutch oven in low oven heat and some apple cider vinegar, I'd bet you have some tasty pork - probably tender without much crust, but who cares? you're going to pull it apart and sauce it anyway. Should be great.

...Might give that a shot this weekend.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
The cheating way is generally to slow cook it somehow in apple cider vinegar. A dutch oven in a very low oven would probably work.

hmmm, I like this idea. Maybe the vinegar gives it a bit of Carolina flavor. I was thinking beer, worstershire, something else... Only a bit at the bottom to keep the meat from drying out. Not enough to get things wet.

Originally Posted by Thomas
my pork rub is based largely on paprika and brown sugar, applied liberallly. Add salt, black pepper, sage, and whatever else you have on hand, and you've got a rub.

If you cook in the dutch oven in low oven heat and some apple cider vinegar, I'd bet you have some tasty pork - probably tender without much crust, but who cares? you're going to pull it apart and sauce it anyway. Should be great.

...Might give that a shot this weekend.

I've got a pretty good rub I do for ribs with paprika, cumin, brown sugar, thyme, pepper, salt, garlic & onion powder. I thought keeping a lid on for most of the cooking then uncovered for an hour or so would keep things tender then get a bit of crust at the end...

Weekend oven cooked pulled pork cookoff?

K

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard that boiling it for a long time (over an hour) in a "broth" (I'll try to get the recipe) and then putting it in the oven for another hour will make really good pulled pork.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to mention clove. Ground clove is IMHO indispensable to good pork. Add clove and cumin, and I think you pretty well have my rub recipe.

evidently it's been too long since I did up one of these: may smoke one this weekend

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vinegar is essential to any pork BBQ trying to emulate North Carolina. It's used both in the eastern and western regions of the state, but in varying degrees.

I grew up in one of the Q-capitals in NC, worked in a BBQ pit, and could try to give you my dip recipe (which is rather simple), but it's not really written down
confused.gif

nicad2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Vinegar is essential to any pork BBQ trying to emulate North Carolina. It's used both in the eastern and western regions of the state, but in varying degrees.

I grew up in one of the Q-capitals in NC, worked in a BBQ pit, and could try to give you my dip recipe (which is rather simple), but it's not really written down
confused.gif

What do you consider to be the barbeque capitals of NC? I've lived in Raleigh for a while but am having a tough time finding bbq that is as good as I feel it ought to be.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alton Brown's Pulled Pork Recipe and Video Here's a link to the video of him building his hardware store smoker
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Interesting blog from some guy who picked up all the parts. Has a cost breakdown and even goes over problems he had setting it up.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Alton Brown's Pulled Pork Recipe and Video

Here's a link to the video of him building his hardware store smoker

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Interesting blog from some guy who picked up all the parts. Has a cost breakdown and even goes over problems he had setting it up.

I'd love to do that if I had the space to keep it. Unfortuately city living means that we have to question everything we buy from a space perspective.

K

Busa Dave

Reaction score
Cook it slow and keep the moisture in until the last hour-----use a dry rub of some type and wrap in heavy foil. Put it in a 250 oven and cook about 45 minutes to the pound and for the last hour open up the foil and let the moisture escape. The grease will still be there and if you want the top and sides to be a little crusty turn up to 425 the last 10-15 minutes.

I have cooked more pig that I can remember but then this is Texas. I have a smoker BUT it can be done in the oven just be ready for you "flat" to be filled with the great smells of roasting pig. Remember SLOW!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads