• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Psychology of style

eric glennie

Reaction score
Just wanted to see how men pick out their daily style.

When you first wake up in the morning ,
Do you pick out a tie and complement your style with a shirt and suit?

Do you pick out a shirt and complement your style with a tie and suit?

or
Do you pick out a suit and complement your style with a tie and shirt?

Any reasons why and how you to pick out your daily style would be appreciated.

Thanks Eric Glennie
www.ericglennie.com

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How I pick out my daily style, in the paraphrased words of Keef Richards, is I basically pick up whatever's lying around and put it on. I hardly bother to have my clothes washed most of the time so to maximize use of clothing there's a LOT of stuff lying around...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
How I pick out my daily style, in the paraphrased words of Keef Richards, is I basically pick up whatever's lying around and put it on.

+1. My clothes pretty much all work together. There isn't a whole lot of variation, so whatever is around I'm most likely comfortable with.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I start with the suit and go from there. The choice of suit depends upon the type of day in store for me.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I walk ~half hour to work each morning and then back in the evening.
I pay a -lot- of attention to the weather reports. Actually spending
time outside helps clothing selection immensely, imho.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I start with the suit and go from there. The choice of suit depends upon the type of day in store for me.
+1. Or on days I'm not wearing a suit, pants and shoes, the shirt/sweater/wifebeater.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
I walk ~half hour to work each morning and then back in the evening.
I pay a -lot- of attention to the weather reports. Actually spending
time outside helps clothing selection immensely, imho.

Going for a morning run can be immensely useful in testing out the weather.

However, if I am in a new city and cannot do this, I look at the weather reports (and out the window) and plan my clothes accordingly.

Also, like other posters have indicated, a lot of my clothes work well together, so it is not that hard a choice. And I make it a point to have all my clothes ironed and laid out the previous night - if you pick your clothes when you are tired and ready to hit the sack, you just do a quick enough job of it.

This way, I can just hop out of the shower and put everything on without spending ten valuable minutes thinking about what clothes to wear.

Sometimes, things get easier - I've been spending the past week in Texas (which is a remarkable change from, say, NYC or Chicago). No one here seems to give a damn about clothes, which is good and bad. Even VPs and above seem to come dressed in shorts, jeans and t-shirts (no round-necks though, thank god).

So, I just wear khakis and a cotton shirt and good shoes, and I come across as the best dressed person around. This is in stark contrast with other places where I spend time choosing my cuff-links, ties and suit and still end up looking like an average Joe.

Now if only they could make Texas a good 30 F cooler.

blahblahblah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Going for a morning run can be immensely useful in testing out the weather.

However, if I am in a new city and cannot do this, I look at the weather reports (and out the window) and plan my clothes accordingly.

Also, like other posters have indicated, a lot of my clothes work well together, so it is not that hard a choice. And I make it a point to have all my clothes ironed and laid out the previous night - if you pick your clothes when you are tired and ready to hit the sack, you just do a quick enough job of it.

This way, I can just hop out of the shower and put everything on without spending ten valuable minutes thinking about what clothes to wear.

Sometimes, things get easier - I've been spending the past week in Texas (which is a remarkable change from, say, NYC or Chicago). No one here seems to give a damn about clothes, which is good and bad. Even VPs and above seem to come dressed in shorts, jeans and t-shirts (no round-necks though, thank god).

So, I just wear khakis and a cotton shirt and good shoes, and I come across as the best dressed person around. This is in stark contrast with other places where I spend time choosing my cuff-links, ties and suit and still end up looking like an average Joe.

Hm, I'm moving to Texas soon and the casual report saddens me a bit. Makes me reconsider a couple of suit purchases and refocus on sport coats instead
frown.gif

Not that you can't have plenty of fun with a casual combos, but still. I'm totally buyng cowboy boots tho. Justin ropers, 100% Texas approved
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually start with one article and then coordinate the rest, sometimes I start with a shirt, other times a jacket, and less often trousers. And yes weather is a consideration, but San Francisco is so mild most of the time, I can wear 3-season stuff almost year-round.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

I don't think you can generalize your experience to all of Texas. In my broader experience, Texans generally dress more casually but more neatly than NYC/Chicago residents. In other words, I see lots of suits in NYC but many are of the ill-fitted, black, poly-blend variety while in Texas I see lots of khakis and polos, but more of the properly fitted and paired with respectable shoes variety. The truly well-dressed suit in NYC is not especially common.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
unless you are some sort of outrageous hipster you should figure out some basic colors that work for you. once your wardrobe is comprised of colors that work for you and complement eachother then its not that difficult to dress yourself. pretty much whatever is clean or not wrinkly.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahblahblah
Hm, I'm moving to Texas soon and the casual report saddens me a bit. Makes me reconsider a couple of suit purchases and refocus on sport coats instead
frown.gif

Not that you can't have plenty of fun with a casual combos, but still. I'm totally buyng cowboy boots tho. Justin ropers, 100% Texas approved
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I do see a decent amount of sport coats around here, so you are probably better off with those anyway, given the weather (although personally, I'd rather be walking in shorts, round-necks and sandals, given the weather).

And don't forget the hat! The Texan outfit is not complete without the hat.
wink.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I don't think you can generalize your experience to all of Texas. In my broader experience, Texans generally dress more casually but more neatly than NYC/Chicago residents. In other words, I see lots of suits in NYC but many are of the ill-fitted, black, poly-blend variety while in Texas I see lots of khakis and polos, but more of the properly fitted and paired with respectable shoes variety. The truly well-dressed suit in NYC is not especially common.

I would have to agree with you on that count. People here do seem to wear better fitting clothes.

My personal theory is that people here fit better into the "average" sizes that most clothes come in, while it is not quite so in places like NYC or Chicago.

I've the exact opposite problem - I cannot find clothes that fit me here because it is almost impossible to find a slim fit shirt out here. But NYC or Chicago? Hell yeah!

I also think that out here, people don't really have to dress for the cold, so they buy good quality cotton clothes, which is really good given the heat. And in my opinion, good quality cotton trumps most synthetic "blends" any day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads