• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prosciutto and melon

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think pepper is too strong for the prosciutto and I don't like prosciutto paired with heated things much.

Besides, I can hear my relatives already saying 'mannaggia la miseria!'

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Pescara Ã
00a9.png
molto bene. Viaggio a Pescara tutti la volta.

Vorrei visitare, ma non ho soldi

****, my italian is horrible nowadays
frown.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Prosciutto and melon is a combination I've very much enjoyed since being introduced to me by a very good italian friend.

Went to an engagement party not too long ago where platters of the stuff were going around and they weren't being touched because all the aussies thought it was weird. Absolutely gorged myself on the stuff.

blanco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Prosciutto with melon is ******* unreal...With a glass of Gavi di Gavi...Unrealer.

Also fresh figs wrapped in prosciutto is nice but I can't enjoy it as often as I like because of terrible allergies to many fruits.

pan seared figs + goat cheese then wrap it in prosciutto.

if figs are not in season, I try asparagus (instead of melon) with a drizzle of balsamic reduction.

yum.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you've got a lot of nice figs (and tire of FWP) try slicing figs in half; put a small cut in each fig half and wedge it lightly open. Into this 'wedge put a small piece of (good) gorganzola and maybe a 1/4 piece from a small mint leaf. Top w/ a toasted pistacchio nut & pop it in your mouth...
drool.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Prosciut and melon is very good, drizzle just a touch of syrupy thick aged Balsamic and you have food of the gods.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Prosciut and melon is very good, drizzle just a touch of syrupy thick aged Balsamic and you have food of the gods.

I don't think that's necessary. I'm glad Balsamic vinegar is dying down in its popularity.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I'm glad Balsamic vinegar is dying down in its popularity.

Plus a million.

I prefer my prosciutto with more prosciutto, not with melon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't think that's necessary. I'm glad Balsamic vinegar is dying down in its popularity.

I'm glad that cheap Balsamic is dying down too. It was way over used. But on this? Yeah, I'll take some thick, aged, real deal stuff.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that cheap Balsamic is dying down too. It was way over used. But on this? Yeah, I'll take some thick, aged, real deal stuff.

eww.

Why would you want to destroy the fat and salt of the prosciutto with the acid and sugar (which is why the melon is there) of the vinegar? I don't think it's really a good application for any kind of balsamic vinegar. That's the problem with any kind of sauces, people find something they like then they want to slather everything they eat with it.

You don't really get much better flavor profiles than good melon with prosciutto.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

pio - different strokes for different folks, but i think you're injecting an unneccessary (& possibly objectionable) component here - maybe if your melon is out of season & tasteless...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
eww.

Why would you want to destroy the fat and salt of the prosciutto with the acid and sugar (which is why the melon is there) of the vinegar? I don't think it's really a good application for any kind of balsamic vinegar. That's the problem with any kind of sauces, people find something they like then they want to slather everything they eat with it.

You don't really get much better flavor profiles than good melon with prosciutto.

De gustibus....

And I don't think I mentioned "slathering" it either, FYI. In fact, I said, "Just a touch." I would titrate per melon sweetness, as there is huge variability.

But really e-peens can be put away. It seriously is a case of de gustibus...

Edit: Roma, just saw your post. Exactly my point. Melons vary.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
De gustibus....

And I don't think I mentioned "slathering" it either, FYI. In fact, I said, "Just a touch." I would titrate per melon sweetness, as there is huge variability.

But really e-peens can be put away. It seriously is a case of de gustibus...

Edit: Roma, just saw your post. Exactly my point. Melons vary.

Dude it doesn't matter to me. If you want to waste good vinegar in order to destroy good product then go right ahead. If that is what you like eating then who am I to tell you otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads