• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pros/Cons of Sole Protectors and Shoe Taps?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm brand new to classic menswear. Do you personally use them? Could someone explain the pros and cons of these options?:eh: Links would be fine too if this topic has already been discussed before.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get SUNKEN metal toe taps (see the pics in this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/266277/will-metal-toe-taps-make-my-shoes-clunky) now on all my shoes and I am very happy with it.

Pros: Metal toe taps will protect the tips of your soles from being worn down faster than the rest. Cons: Cannot see any ... contrary to popular believe there is no clicking sound when walking in shoes with metal toe taps.

Big Texas

Reaction score

...contrary to popular believe there is no clicking sound when walking in shoes with metal toe taps.

This is generally correct, though it depends on one's gait. Typically heel taps, not toe taps, produce the clicking sound on hard floors.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
TyCoon, if you're inclined to get them put in your shoes, and you know a cobbler who will do it, then go for it. Mine were a little bit slippery when new - that's the only disadvantage I've experienced.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nick V. At B Nelson does both excellently. I have toe taps on all my leather bottom shoes; about 1/5 of my shoes have sole guards (just prefer leather bottom feel).

Flushed toe taps are great although they do have to sand/screw into the leather sole so make sure you send them to someone reputable like Nick V. Or they might cause damage to the soles.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Topys or similar outsoles on a number of my shoes.

Pros: better grip on slippery surfaces; far less susceptible to wear from the abrasive combination of salt and sand that covers most sidewalks through the winter months; significantly extends the life of the sole; inexpensive - most cobblers are more than up to the task; very slightly improved shock absorbtion, and when done properly, all but invisible in profile.

Cons: some purists hate them on principle and will pile heaps of derision upon you for using them or suggesting the same to others.

Neutral: they will slightly alter the "feel" of the shoe. They won't make your shoe feel like one with a complete rubber sole - after all - the leather sole and attendant construction are still there - but they will give the shoe a slightly 'softer' feel on impact. This may be viewed as a benefit by some, and a detriment by others.

Balmorals

Reaction score

Can a pair of shoes have BOTH sole guards AND taps, or is it just one OR the other?:eh:

Yes, you can have both. I had them done on an excellent fitting pair of loafers I got from Paul Stuart. Since they were blake constructed from one of the numerous Italian houses, I was concerned about potential resoling so I had both sole guards and flushed taps installed; Nick V. at VIP did the work for me.

mhdena

Reaction score

I use Topys or similar outsoles on a number of my shoes. 

Pros: better grip on slippery surfaces; far less susceptible to wear from the abrasive combination of salt and sand that covers most sidewalks through the winter months; significantly extends the life of the sole; inexpensive - most cobblers are more than up to the task; very slightly improved shock absorbtion, and when done properly, all but invisible in profile.

Cons: some purists hate them on principle and will pile heaps of derision upon you for using them or suggesting the same to others.

Neutral: they will slightly alter the "feel" of the shoe.  They won't make your shoe feel like one with a complete rubber sole - after all - the leather sole and attendant construction are still there - but they will give the shoe a slightly 'softer' feel on impact.  This may be viewed as a benefit by some, and a detriment by others.

This is the best option by far, IMO

I've had Topy and Vibram applied to about 12 pair of shoes after purchase before wearing over the past 17 years.

Pros= preserving the original feel and fit of your shoes, something having shoes resoled won't do.
They look better with Topy than heel and or toe taps.

I still have every shoe I applied Topy to before wearing, having replaced the Topy on 4 to 5 pairs

Cons= ZERO

An experienced shoe repairman will shave 1/16 of an inch off the sole, so that there is a seamless transition on the bottom sole.
Apply when new.
Apply when new

Did I say apply when new?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads