• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have CS2 at our school, I may shoot a few sample shots and take them in to format.

hamish5178

Reaction score
I have a questions for the experts here. How do you get that sort of synthetic/surreal quality to your pictures (I assume they're digital)? Here's one from Muelleran on page 5 that shows what I mean:
p1270013in8.jpg
The birds look unreal, like something from a Final Fantasy commercial. And here's an old one of me by a guy named Charlie ****:
AwesomeHair.jpg
Here it's my hair and guitar that stand out the most. Is this a special filter or effect? Or simply high quality equipment and a lot of skill?

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
I have a questions for the experts here. How do you get that sort of synthetic/surreal quality to your pictures (I assume they're digital)?

Here it's my hair and guitar that stand out the most. Is this a special filter or effect? Or simply high quality equipment and a lot of skill?

I think it's just the way the light has bounced off the subjects. The second one looks a bit overexposed + your hair being action frozen

I think it's just the moment being captured at the right time and in the right light

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3059793034_78eed02a22.jpg
3059014245_7f872bc6ac.jpg
3059825152_d2a1af86bc.jpg
3059792622_6e2658d68c.jpg
3062971478_0d2307e7cb.jpg
3059014811_8fd77b6504.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
I have a questions for the experts here. How do you get that sort of synthetic/surreal quality to your pictures (I assume they're digital)? Here's one from Muelleran on page 5 that shows what I mean:

p1270013in8.jpg

The birds look unreal, like something from a Final Fantasy commercial.

I don't think there's anythign special about the bird photo other than the timing of it and how the light is hitting their wings on the far side of the viewer (gives them a glow). He had a high enough shutter speed to totally freeze their movement. You can see the clouds are blown-out. If it were some kind of merged image, they likely would not have been.

Some of the surreal-looking shots are done with a technique known as HDR. The photographer will take photos at different exposures are merge them so taht the full dynamic range of the scene can be presented. The reason some do this is the difficulty of taking a picture that captures enough detail in low light areas without blowing the sky or some other bright area of the frame (like a window when shooting inside a cathedral).

bkk

Reaction score
Do you guys have a website for tips on settings? I'd even take an in depth tutorial on what each setting does (more than ISO effects this, the end). I think the settings on my camera is the main reason my pictures don't look as crisp as I expect.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Do you guys have a website for tips on settings? I'd even take an in depth tutorial on what each setting does (more than ISO effects this, the end). I think the settings on my camera is the main reason my pictures don't look as crisp as I expect.

just read photography forums and you'll catch-on (there will be tons of faqs and stuff stickied). i only really read dpreview but i'm sure there are others. For your specific camera, definitely check dpreview and someone might have an in-depth tutorial on it along with suggested settings (which some cameras demand because they don't ship with good setting out of the box--these more affect color than sharpness though). The manual for my e-3 was very large but i found a great tutorial by a member there and it helped me set the most useful featurs on my camera (programmable Fn button and dials) without having to a read a huge 200pg manual.

basically though, increasing iso increases the sensitivity of the sensor to light, so you need less of it to get your picture. This means you can increase the shutter speed (which decreases the light that hits your sensor), and freeze the action. If you want crisper (do you mean sharper?) pictures, you need to increase the shutter speed and learn how to hold your camera properly. If you have a point&shoot, i can almost guarantee you don't hold it in a way that is conducive to sharp photos. Night and low-light shots demand tripods for the most part, although image-stabilization definitely helps. The other huge factor is the lens. A large set of compromises are made to produce a kit lens.

bkk

Reaction score
dpreview looks like it will keep me busy for a while. Thanks for the recommendation!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Racewon_by_Tokyo_Slim.jpg

Port_Angeles_Speedway_by_Tokyo_Slim.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
^^^ Hahahaha. Where's the Saturn???
The "REO DeathSaturn" Didn't make it. I believe it still may require some fiddling. I'm not really up to date on that project.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fireworks__by_Tokyo_Slim.jpg
Baby_The_Stars_Shine_Bright_by_Tokyo_Slim.jpg
Monorail_Up_Westin_by_Tokyo_Slim.jpg
The_rat_kingdom__by_Tokyo_Slim.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads