• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
open up dat aperture ::: we are bokeh masters here

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I actually just read a small article on bokeh. From what I saw, I would probably need to wait until night in order to capture it correctly, no?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I actually just read a small article on bokeh. From what I saw, I would probably need to wait until night in order to capture it correctly, no?

not at all. in my opinion it's the most cliched composition sought by those who've just discovered more powerful (relative to point&shoot) setups. you can trawl through countless blogs and see pics like what I've put up, oh look at me I've got huge aperture and can blur the background so well...it has it's uses, but I feel it is also very overused. It doesn't make the shot and should not be thought of in such a way either. You absolutely don't need to wait until night, it's just a matter of getting your lens open. If it's bright then shrink the exposure, you should be able to get to 1/4000 or 1/6000 on most systems nowadays which is good in bright light. And if need be lower film speed, 160, 100, 80, whatever...you can even throw on a filter, UV or polarizer, that can make things interesting in direct sunlight.

IronRock

Reaction score

tried to get a shot tonight, took several attempts before i could make out the detail. i believe this is with zuiko f1.8/50mm , but because of the adaptor focusing to infinity requires slightly less than infinity making it a bit more difficult to actually get focus on infinity haha
100% crop so that's the extent of it :eek:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the reason you couldn't get a sharp shot of the moon was becasue it is moving in relation to the earth. Even a shutter speed of 5 secs or so will show motion blur.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the reason you couldn't get a sharp shot of the moon was becasue it is moving in relation to the earth. Even a shutter speed of 5 secs or so will show motion blur.

i should be be able to get it, got an adaptor so i can throw on the 200mm (400mm equiv) on there and i'll up the ISO so it will be noisy a bit but fine after some noise reduction and shrinking for mass consumption on the internet format ....

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's more to it than that. Haze, atmospheric distortion, heat distortion (mirage), among other atmospheric headaches, tends to be the real killers of trying to take clean crisp pics of the moon. That's why telescopes sit on top of mountains, that way a lot of the atmosphere is taken out of the equation. Below is a pic of the Hunter's Moon sitting on the horizon. The shot was taken on a tripod 1/15 second, ISO 100, f4.5 or thereabouts. It's definetly not crystal clear and you can easily see the effects of distortion thanks to the low angle to the horizon. The lower the angle to the horizon, the more pronounced the atmospheric distortion becomes.

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of pics from the past 2 weekends:

6787285898_fa7eec82e6_z.jpg

6787288198_e73eb46c06_z.jpg

6933405163_04e929dda6_z.jpg

6787290084_dcebfcef68_z.jpg

6787292512_8665908ec7_z.jpg

6787295948_9e74ba0bb8_z.jpg

Last edited:

Krp480

Reaction score

When I come home from work it's already dark so I don't get to shoot a lot lately. But I used my new umbrella to use my speedlite more often.

Tastes like summer von Philipp Abele auf Flickr

I'm seriously jealous of that 1DsIII you got going on there :slayer:

Recently acquired a new set of gear :slayer:

Herro! This is my self-portrait. by Jacob Skoglund, on Flickr

And a couple of photos from the past few weeks!

Puppy Eyes by Jacob Skoglund, on Flickr

City Boy by Jacob Skoglund, on Flickr

Can't wait. by Jacob Skoglund, on Flickr

Army dude. by Jacob Skoglund, on Flickr

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm seriously jealous of that 1DsIII you got going on there :slayer:
It's like a 5D II on steroids. Image quality is basically exactly the same but you have a way better AF system.
I've had heavy buyer's remorse when I heard the rumors about the 5D III but since the announcement today, I don't care anymore. The 5D III still has no spot metering linked to the active AF point (still only in the middle), it is still only flash sync 1/200 vs the 1/250 of the 1 series. Plus I have payed ~ 500 EUR less for a mint 1Ds III than the 5D III would cost me now (you could even add 370 € to the 5D III if you want the battery grip, which the 1Ds has built in).

It's a nice evolution of the 5D but I expected more to be honest. If I wouldn't prefer live view for landscape and night photography, I might even have "downgraded" to a 1Ds II which can be had used for the same money as a used 5D II.

I really like this one. Nice job. Did you do much processing?
I didn't do much to it. If I remember correctly, it was developed in Lightroom to remove the lens distortion and vignetting, then selective sharpening of the bridge and foreground in Photoshop Elements via high pass filter. Not really much Post Processing involved.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads