• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post pics of your denim - denim fades and evolution

mr. burns

Reaction score
1-2 months

jeans.jpg

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. burns
really?

raw levi's 514. o_o

yeah! i love the color. is that an accurate photo in regards to the actual color of the denim?

where did you find the raw 514s?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
yeah! i love the color. is that an accurate photo in regards to the actual color of the denim?

where did you find the raw 514s?

I was under the impression raw 514s were a myth and the rigid model was being mistaken for raw.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I was under the impression raw 514s were a myth and the rigid model was being mistaken for raw.

Whats the difference between Levi's Rigid versus raw. I was under the impression that levi's calls their raw jeans rigid

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understood it, rigid Levi's aren't terrible different than the regulars. There's just more starch in them, which makes for a crispy (rigid) texture. They feel nice and can be had for around the same price as the regulars ($40 or so), but aren't true raw jeans.

premo

Reaction score
6 months ago
Originally Posted by premo
This is it... first pair ever. APC Rescue 34x34. My waist is 35" measured. I usually wear 36" jeans. 6'1", 220lbs, 24" thighs for reference.
170613ii6.jpg
170541ph8.jpg

Today
164107.bmp
164306.bmp
Here are some more detailed pictures via my new blog. (click on the pics once at blog to see details) I'm washing them tomorrow, I'll have more pics then.

dano

Reaction score
Why are you washing them? They look brand new.

Edit: Never mind, the bottom two pics didn't show up.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. burns
1-2 months

jeans.jpg

What kind of belt is that? Looks nice.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understood it, rigid Levi's aren't terrible different than the regulars. There's just more starch in them, which makes for a crispy (rigid) texture. They feel nice and can be had for around the same price as the regulars ($40 or so), but aren't true raw jeans.

There's two types of rigid (from what I've found) 1) the 3d rigid/rigid (check out the 514 thread) which is the one with preset whisker and honeycombey shapes (I have NO idea how they get those set in there but you can't really iron them out all the way from what i've heard) and 2) the tumbled rigid which is a soft flaccid one wash dark indigo

As for 514s that i've been able to find, there are the $60ish ones that you can get at the levi's store which have a different tag and better denim as well as a slightly fuller cut (though I've only tried on one pair) and there are the standard red tab 514s in tumbled rigid that you can get for $35 all day long anywhere levis are sold.

Maybe i'm completely off, but when I tried on tumbled rigid 514s I tried on at least 2 in each of the sizes and they were definitely slimmer in the thighs. I was looking for a more relaxed fit so I went true to waist and they stretched out a bit much for my taste and the fades were nothing great, but yes that pic is about the same color as the 514s I have.

So yes, they aren't "truly raw" but they're a good dark wash in a great fit that is easily available and they'll fade all the same. At least the tumbled rigids will. The other rigid will as well but you have to deal with the pre-set folds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads