• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Job Interview

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having been on the hiring side of the desk I would consider it a nice touch however I would hesitate to add anything to the email as suggested other than summarizing why you think you would be good for the job for the simple reason that in an email or letter you run the risk of being misunderstood as voice tones are not there.

All things being equal it may sway the scales however thats obviously not enough to make a hire.

Good luck.

petescolari

Reaction score
In my opinion either way is fine. I have asked many people who hire in different firms and it doesn't matter to them as long as it is well written and concise. Thank them for their time, describe something you learned from them and how your talents relate to this.

Keep in mind if you are interviewing with multiple people in the same group, they will share what you wrote when they discuss you. If everyone at the table got the same note, they probably think it's indicative of your work ethic. I just went through a 3 month process at an asset management firm in Boston. I had 12 separate interviews. 12 different notes was a nightmare, especially when you meet with a couple of different people back to back. Take good notes during the interviews too. This is what I based my thank you's from.

Mike

Reaction score
I ended up writing each person an e-mail. Each one was different, but basically said the same thing- Thank you for the opportunity, if you have any other questions I'll gladly answer them, yada yada yada. I only talked to each person for 45 minutes to an hour a piece, and they all, with the exception of the final person, pretty much asked the same things. I'd have written a short note and sent it, but the company, an advertising agency, uses e-mail a lot. In fact, its how I got to know about the job and how I set up the interviews. I sent them after I got out of class which was after the place closed, so they probably won't get the messages until tomorrow morning. I just wasn't sure if I should send a message in the first place, just because I wasn't sure if it would make me seem too eagar and kiss ass.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Generally, I don't think appearing eager is going to be an issue, unless you start calling or emailing them everyday to discuss the status of your application. A simple email to each place should be OK, even a followup email in a week or so is probably not appropriate if they haven't made a decision by then, but anything more than that might be too much.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It annoys me a little bit, a very slight little bit, when I receive an email or a letter after an interview. The background and the interview itself will be sufficient for me to make a decision, and the extra communication feels unnecessary and a little bit pushy. But I know it is customary, so I take it in stride.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally, I don't think appearing eager is going to be an issue, unless you start calling or emailing them everyday to discuss the status of your application. Â A simple email to each place should be OK, even a followup email in a week or so is probably not appropriate if they haven't made a decision by then, but anything more than that might be too much.
Now this is something Mikey would do. Â
biggrin.gif

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, I don't think appearing eager is going to be an issue, unless you start calling or emailing them everyday to discuss the status of your application.  A simple email to each place should be OK, even a followup email in a week or so is probably not appropriate if they haven't made a decision by then, but anything more than that might be too much.
I agree with drizz about the follow up e-mail with one caveat. Make sure you have an idea of when they are making a decision on the postion. I have received numerous e-mails and even phone calls a week after interviewing someone, when I made it clear in the interview that no decisions would be made until the end of the month, 30 days etc. That actually put a bad taste in my mouth because it showed they weren't paying attention to what I was telling them in the interview. If they can't pay attention in an interview I am sure it wouldn't get better once they started working for me. Thankfully, every time that happened it was someone that had been eliminated from consideration within the first 10 minutes of their interview.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Mar. 10 2005,20:29) Generally, I don't think appearing eager is going to be an issue, unless you start calling or emailing them everyday to discuss the status of your application. Â A simple email to each place should be OK, even a followup email in a week or so is probably not appropriate if they haven't made a decision by then, but anything more than that might be too much.
I agree with drizz about the follow up e-mail with one caveat. Â Make sure you have an idea of when they are making a decision on the postion. Â I have received numerous e-mails and even phone calls a week after interviewing someone, when I made it clear in the interview that no decisions would be made until the end of the month, 30 days etc. Â That actually put a bad taste in my mouth because it showed they weren't paying attention to what I was telling them in the interview. Â If they can't pay attention in an interview I am sure it wouldn't get better once they started working for me. Â Thankfully, every time that happened it was someone that had been eliminated from consideration within the first 10 minutes of their interview.
I had one of those nightmarish situations lately. The guy called every two days, emailed, when I had told him exactly when the decision would be made. Everytime, he would tell me how wonderful he would be in that position, and how nobody else would be a better fit. By the third phone call, he understood by my tone of voice that he would probably be better off not dialing my number any longer. Needless to say, I had "eliminated" him as soon as he had uttered the first sentence during the interview.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had one of those nightmarish situations lately.  The guy called every two days, emailed, when I had told him exactly when the decision would be made.  Everytime, he would tell me how wonderful he would be in that position, and how nobody else would be a better fit.  By the third phone call, he understood by my tone of voice that he would probably be better off not dialing my number any longer.  Needless to say, I had "eliminated" him as soon as he had uttered the first sentence during the interview.
Isn't it funny how the people you would never hire are almost always the ones who do this?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right,

That would certainly bother me, and in the cases that it's happened for me, that was the case, the person was already eliminated.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 I once got a thank you email from a law student within two hours of the interview--this person must have run right back to the hotel (out of town interviewee) and emailed from a laptop or the business center.  Now that earned an extra point on my written evaluation.
are you being serious?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has revealed to me how desperate many are for work.

Mike

Reaction score
This thread has revealed to me how desperate many are for work.
I don't know about other people, but I asked because I wanted to show a sign of respect. Â One of my interviewers was in an unscheduled meeting with the CEO and the CFO at the time that we were scheduled to meet. Â I'm not sure if he had to cut that meeting short to meet with me or if it ended by itself but the point remains that he goes from meeting with the heads of the Detroit branch to meeting with some piss ant college kid who wants to get an internship. Â I figured I owed some gratitude to him and the rest of my interviewers.
Generally, I don't think appearing eager is going to be an issue, unless you start calling or emailing them everyday to discuss the status of your application. Â A simple email to each place should be OK, even a followup email in a week or so is probably not appropriate if they haven't made a decision by then, but anything more than that might be too much.
Now this is something Mikey would do. Â
biggrin.gif

Yeah, AC, I just sent my 25th thank you out this morning
devil.gif
. You think this is too much. FOR FARMER...
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads