• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ant702

Reaction score
In their defense many of them are playing in a different league over there. I have a few ETA's and love them but I can see after a while it seems every watch has an ETA movement and many the same cases so after looking for a while you get "meh".
I get what you mean! But...." beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (I really hate 2 read so cliche') What league they think they are playing in can only be higher if all agree that is so (Not to get all philosophical)! Heres an example! I dont want to use the name because, it shouldnt be mentioned on this thread, but just as an example! Rolex to most of my colleagues and others is so passe'! But to alot of the gents whom you are defending, this statement would be absurd,frowned upon! Style preferences, whats avant- gard, top of the line, whos right, all, whos wrong everyone
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

ant702

Reaction score
In their defense many of them are playing in a different league over there. I have a few ETA's and love them but I can see after a while it seems every watch has an ETA movement and many the same cases so after looking for a while you get "meh".
You are right about so many companys using ETA! Its a headache, but it looks like ETA has been making some moves to fix this problem! But then again there are other companys who may step in to fill the gap of mass production!

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

I find that funny given the multiple pics of the same watch, by the same user in that thread (recently the Daytona circle jerk over there). Granted it can be useful to see how a watch looks when dressed up or down, but it gets old quickly.

But yes, to your point, a lot of those watches are in a different league, so you can understand them skimming over something they see as mundane.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I get what you mean! But...." beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (I really hate 2 read so cliche') What league they think they are playing in can only be higher if all agree that is so (Not to get all philosophical)! Heres an example! I dont want to use the name because, it shouldnt be mentioned on this thread, but just as an example! Rolex to most of my colleagues and others is so passe'! But to alot of the gents whom you are defending, this statement would be absurd,frowned upon! Style preferences, whats avant- gard, top of the line, whos right, all, whos wrong everyone
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Boutique watches using ETA movements can bring a lot of bang for the buck but they also bring some issues that some people who can afford to get something mainstream and solid might wish to avoid. How do you respond to a non WIS who asks if your sub homage is a Rolex? If it is a well know and established brand you can just drop the brand name and the will ooh and ahhh. If you say Squale then the reaction may be less positive.

A Breitling using an ETA movement will generally be better received than a Steinhart with an ETA movement by WIS and NON WIS alike. Part of it is the marketing, part of it is the history and part of it is that most of Steinharts designs are just lifted from Rolex.

Then if you are buying watches you get to the point where you can only wear so many watches so more is not necessarily better. A high quality everyday watch becomes more desirable as you learn to appreciate the subtle differences and respect the history.

Then even if you like boutique watches which ones are you going to invest heavily in? Cause I doubt that more than 15% will be around in 20 years. So where you going to get it serviced? What will people think of a watch from a company that does not exist?

I own one Raven Vintage, two MKII Kingston’s and have two MKII Key West’s on preorder so please do not think I am against boutique brands or homage’s. I just wonder if I should have just invested in a Speedy Pro. But I will probably get one at some point anyway. :)

MKII Kingston (Not my pic):

Last edited:

JackAndy

Reaction score

Just an Omega Speedmaster Professionally rep, quartz with working chronograph of course. It was $90 and even has a warranty. I've had it for 6 months now.

ant702

Reaction score
Boutique watches using ETA movements can bring a lot of bang for the buck but they also bring some issues that some people who can afford to get something mainstream and solid might wish to avoid. How do you respond to a non WIS who asks if your sub homage is a Rolex? If it is a well know and established brand you can just drop the brand name and the will ooh and ahhh. If you say Squale then the reaction may be less positive.

A Breitling using an ETA movement will generally be better received than a Steinhart with an ETA movement by WIS and NON WIS alike. Part of it is the marketing, part of it is the history and part of it is that most of Steinharts designs are just lifted from Rolex.

Then if you are buying watches you get to the point where you can only wear so many watches so more is not necessarily better. A high quality everyday watch becomes more desirable as you learn to appreciate the subtle differences and respect the history.

Then even if you like boutique watches which ones are you going to invest heavily in? Cause I doubt that more than 15% will be around in 20 years. So where you going to get it serviced? What will people think of a watch from a company that does not exist?

I own one Raven Vintage, two MKII Kingston’s and have two MKII Key West’s on preorder so please do not think I am against boutique brands or homage’s. I just wonder if I should have just invested in a Speedy Pro. But I will probably get one at some point anyway.
smile.gif

MKII Kingston (Not my pic):

Verygood points there
nod[1].gif
I think thats a fair statement! (speedy pro,maybe,but I would probably stop right there :)

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course those buying a watch for the purpose of impressing others are better served by purchasing better-known brands. This is precisely the reason many flock to Rolex. It is also the precise reason that many avoid Rolex. I buy watches to please myself - if they satisfy my aesthetic preferences and perception of value, then I wear them happily and have not the slightest care about how others might react to my choice.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Complete watch newbie here, looking to buy my first automatic: a Seiko 5 SNKH63. Only problem is I'm having a difficult time locating a reputable online source to purchase it. Amazon doesn't have it, and it's sold out at creationwatches.com. Trying to avoid the shady websites. Any suggestions?

The SNKH63, by the way, is very similar to the popular SNK809, but slightly larger. The SNK809 is too small for my tastes, otherwise I would buy one. The SNKH63's case is a millimeter wider, 2mm longer lug-to-lug, and has 20mm lugs instead of the 18mm on the 809.

Last edited:

ant702

Reaction score
Of course those buying a watch for the purpose of impressing others are better served by purchasing better-known brands. This is precisely the reason many flock to Rolex. It is also the precise reason that many avoid Rolex. I buy watches to please myself - if they satisfy my aesthetic preferences and perception of value, then I wear them happily and have not the slightest care about how others might react to my choice.
Bravo! I'll drink to that
cheers.gif

ant702

Reaction score
Man, you should have warned me! Those shirts are for young gents(I dont think it wil work out with my beer-belly
crackup[1].gif
) , plus you need deep pockets! You guys are spending alota cash on clothes, its fine if you have it/like it ! Careful,please, dont go for broke, you still have to eat
nod[1].gif
I love the finer things in life, but you have to have limits!

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really see what the issue is with regard to servicing a boutique brand watch down the line, even if the brand goes bust. Unless the watch really malfunctions (WR fails and it floods), most servicing will be pretty straightforward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads