• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B|aze

Reaction score

Venus 175 knock-off, nicely executed. Always loved the V175. Been reading some good things about the Seagull. And besides, I am a sucker for a nice column wheel chrono...

Yeah you could say that. I wouldn't call it a knock-off. It's the ST-19, and if you know the history, this is as close as you get to the V175, because they use the original V175 tooling, which they bought in the late 50's. This is probably one of the best movement to made in china and it's a beauty to behold :)

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

V175 Knock off? I believe you are mistaken.

I don't believe I am mistaken, although knockoff may have been a poor choice of words. It's not a Venus 175. Yes, I know the history. But buying the tools certainly doesn't make them the same as Venus. They have certainly done a nice job with it though.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any suggestion for a conservative, dressier automatic? Preferably one that would look good on a leather band for a pretty formal/stuffy business environment? Ideally looking to stay sub $150.

Seiko 5. Read this thread, it has already been recommended numerous times.

B|aze

Reaction score

I don't believe I am mistaken, although knockoff may have been a poor choice of words. It's not a Venus 175. Yes, I know the history. But buying the tools certainly doesn't make them the same as Venus. They have certainly done a nice job with it though.

One could argue that ST-19 is the upgraded version of V175. With 21.600 bph against the the original 18.000 bph along with the shock absorber.
Knock off is a poor choice of words, as that would indicate that it is a counterfeit...and that is certainly not the case, as they bought the movement and tools to make them over 50 years ago.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got one of these Saturday and I love it. I really lovethe colors. The cream of the face and the hand colors are great.

I wish it was a little bigger, a little thinner and not a chronograph but it does look really nice. A couple of questions. I thought the red hand was the second hand but it seems to be the chronograph hand? Also, The top pusher seems a little rough...is that normal?

Is there any problem with letting the chronograph run all the time since I think it makes a nicer second hand.

Thanks.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the consensus on those Alpha watches? They look decent and come with a 1 year warranty.

Alpha makes a decent watch. I have had a few over the years and never had any issues. They are good watches, since they are inexpensive and when they need service you can just rplace them for much less.

coreyaugustus

Reaction score

What is the consensus on those Alpha watches? They look decent and come with a 1 year warranty.

I haven't had mine very long, but it seems to keep good time. Hasn't self-destructed, etc. It's obviously not a rolex, but plenty good enough for folks on this thread. I finally decided to replace the rickety bracelet. For the money, an Alpha is a good buy.

LeeReynolds

Reaction score

I'm very happy with it. And quite astounded with the quality. I mean, domed saphire crystal glass - front and back, genuine moonphase and chronograph, ivory dial with lovely details and the beautiful ST19 movement.

And Sea-gull know that they are doing. They are by far the largest producer of automatic movements in the world. And of course they also produce a double tourbillon...which would not belong in this thread :D

Many Chinese movements are unmitigated crap. Sea-Gull is one of the exceptions to this rule. They make very good movements, especially the ones that go into their own watches.

LeeReynolds

Reaction score

Sooo I bought this watch...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...41250&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4788wt_1185

Anyone have a link/Link to straps that would go well with it? I'm thinking brown leather of some sort.

I think Parnis makes interesting watches. This one is inspired by the IWC Portuguese line.

I can't speak to the quality of the watch itself since I've never owned one, but I can say that its using Sea-Gull's copy of the ETA 2893.

If you didn't pay much then you've probably got a good watch for the money.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score

I just got one of these Saturday and I love it. I really lovethe colors. The cream of the face and the hand colors are great.

I wish it was a little bigger, a little thinner and not a chronograph but it does look really nice. A couple of questions. I thought the red hand was the second hand but it seems to be the chronograph hand? Also, The top pusher seems a little rough...is that normal?

Is there any problem with letting the chronograph run all the time since I think it makes a nicer second hand.

Thanks.

I'm interested in the watch. What's the model name/number?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads