• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poor little babies, they gotta be protected from failure

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
**** that noise. Send their kids to a different league/sport.

Getting blown out is a major motivator to improving oneself, at least it was for me. We got spanked for 2 years in little league ball. We all worked really hard to improve and by the 3rd year we came out winning the championship.

It'll also weed out the pansies who can't take losing and they eventually drop out of the sport; better for the kids that are actually there to play.

Gotta keep those kids competitive or the Chinese will win the little league race. Over there they whip losers and do pushups over bayonets.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Gotta keep those kids competitive or the Chinese will win the little league race. Over there they whip losers and do pushups over bayonets.
Didn't that stop right after the cultural revolution. You remember, those heady days when your type was running around with little red books.
devil.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Didn't that stop right after the cultural revolution. You remember, those heady days when your type was running around with little red books.
devil.gif

My type was ending up dead or re-educated by rural peasants. Are you sure you didn't mean the long walk or something?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
My type was ending up dead or re-educated by rural peasants. Are you sure you didn't mean the long walk or something?
No, I meant your type in French coffee houses, and in the streets of European capitals*. *Yes, this is a joke.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
There are also a lot of studies out there that show that the whole "everybody" is a winner idea is quite detrimental to society as it is raising a generation where no one loses and everyone wins regardless of effort etc. Apparently this is causing more kids to flunk out of uni and is leading to an overall decline in preparedness for the real life where there are losers and winners.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
hmm, didn't see anything about indians trekking miles to publicly defecate in a field

but the same sense of entitlement is there.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's their league and their kids, they can do whatever they want and collectively decide is best for them.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
When i coached basketball at this city league (11-12yr age range) we weren't allowed to win by more than 25. One of the seasons i coached, i had a really good mix of kids and some really got better halfway through to the point we were killing the other teams. We were up 32 at halftime one game and one of the people who was in charge of the league came to me and told me i had to reel it in or i'd get suspended for the next game. We pretty much just passed the ball around the perimeter, drove to the basket and got open looks and then just waited and passed out. We also let the other team score a few times to get it under 25 or 30 just so we could score more.

To be fair to the league, that was coming off a 50point win the week before so i could understand in a way. Still kinda dumb. I mean, all the coaches were at the evaluation games before the season and we all took notes and drafted our players (like a fantasy snake draft) so it's not like i just got lucky getting the good kids. I got 2 stud guards, and then some diamond in the rough bigs while the other coaches just failed talent evaluation

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. I can remember a couple hockey games where we absolutely demolished the other team, but it was our coach that decided when enough was enough, and a couple of times he did ask us to take it easy, but to have a rule like this implemented by the league is stupid. What if some kid is in a race to get the most goals of any team in the league, and that extra goal pushes his team to a defeat and he can't go for it? All sorts of stupidity derives from rules like this.

XeF4

Reaction score
I use to buff my stats against the crappy teams. Nothing wrong with that.

StolenCar

Reaction score
The local CBC morning show interviewed one of the kids on the winning team of the game that sparked this whole thing. No one told the kids that this rule was in effect; they found out when the ref told one of the boys during play that if they score another goal, they will lose. So, everyone got confused. They didn't have any subs so the same kids stayed on the field and played keep-away for the next 20 minutes which they said embarrased the other team far more than scoring a few more goals would've.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics