• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Coat Back Belt Button Question

feijaocozido

Reaction score
I purchased a RL Camel Polo coat this year. In the store it felt ok, but after wearing it for a bit, I have noticed that the back belt is too tight when buttoned with both buttons and uncomfortable to the point of causing back pain. When I use only one button, it is much more comfortable as it is not so trim around the waist but it looks off as the belt is not really service the purpose of taking up the excess fabric. Is the "one button" look an acceptable look for the back button or should I look into adjusting the position of the buttons or adjust the belt position/length so that I can get both buttons buttoned and still be comfortable? If so, is this service something that RL would offer? I did purchase it through them directly in-store.

IMG_6404.jpg IMG_6405.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A polo coat should be cut generously enough that there is a lot of ease around the waist. If doing up those two buttons is literally causing you pain then I wonder whether the coat is too small for you. It would be helpful to post pictures of you wearing the coat.

Frankly I don't really like how doing up one button looks, at least in your picture.

As to whether RL would do the alteration, only they can tell you.

feijaocozido

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have attached some pictures. I am wearing a lightweight flannel sport coat underneath. The polo coat is a size 38. Do you think it looks too small? I am 5'10" with broad shoulders, and longer legs with a shorter torso, and the polo coat belt is resting on the top of my trousers and and not slimming/cinching at my natural waist which causes some discomfort and pulling when I sit down for an extended time with the belt buttoned up. I do agree that it looks better buttoned up than just hanging with 1 button. Would another option be to move the belt up towards my lower back?

IMG_6411.jpg IMG_6413.jpg IMG_6415.jpg IMG_6417.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t look tight from the front in your photo. But when you say that it feels tight in the back, are you referring only to when you are sitting down or does it also feel tight standing up?

If only tight while seated for a long time is it too cold for you just to undo the front button?

feijaocozido

Reaction score
I unbuttoned today when seated (in the car) and it wasn't too bad. I will try this for a little bit and see how it goes before making any modifications to the buttons. Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads