• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help with the soles of my shoes

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
The only shoes in my rotation are the AE Bristol and McClain, which is suede. I've decided to purchase two more shoes to help. I'm already thinking about adding some sort of protection to the soles of the new shoes. I looked at the soles of my current shoes and noticed some things. Mind, that I've had the McClains since December and the Bristols since early January, so they're less that 6 mos. old and I try to rotate them often, on occasion I have to wear the bristol consecutively. I keep shoe trees in them, when not worn. I clean them once a month.

The rubbers on the soles were there when I bought them.
Bristols
IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

The McClains
IMG_0196.jpg

A few questions:
For the Bristols, is that a Normal amount of wear for a shoe that is about 4months?

Would I need to resole the Bristols?

If look at both shoes, the toe is getting a lot of attention. Since this is most likely due to my walk, would it be a good idea to get some type of protection for the toe?

Thank you for all the help

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Are you doing a lot of walking on sidewalks streets? That could be the culprit as well.

My shoes go from my door to the car, parking lot and then carpet at the office for the majority of the day.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minnesotamoon
Are you doing a lot of walking on sidewalks streets? That could be the culprit as well.

My shoes go from my door to the car, parking lot and then carpet at the office for the majority of the day.

Live in NYC. LOTS of walking on sidewalks.

I plan on buying the RL Darlton Wingtips and AE Strands. I've been reading up on Topy's and Toe Taps, and am considering plastic Taps. The concern I have is doing something that would deny the original maker the ability to resole the shoe in the long run. Could the orig. maker resole a shoe that has been Topied or have Taps installed?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts.

1) Put taps on your toes. That'll save them, and will cost you $5 at most.
2) Don't worry about how you cover the soles if you plan to have AE resole them. They'll take the original sole off and replace it completely, so anything stuck to it will be discarded.
3) If you get the first pair resoled, ask for an all-leather sole.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Should I have a pro cobbler install the taps or could I buy the Kiwi DIY brand at the drugstore?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Thanks for the replies. Should I have a pro cobbler install the taps or could I buy the Kiwi DIY brand at the drugstore?
Should be fine. I'm not a fan of heel taps as they kinda mess with my gait. However they definitely help with reducing wear. I think Toe Taps should be less intrusive. Get more shoes!
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics