• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me find suits (I am short)

Umoux

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an important event coming in two days, and I don't know where to find the suits. I am a fresh high school graduate; so, my budget is around 200 to 500. I would like to get a slim suit (Not too skinny).

I am short and have small body frame. So, it's very tough to find a suit that fits me. I currently lives in CO.

Here is my stat

Height : 5' 6"
Chest: 33" - 34"
Waist: 29"

Well, I am thinking about going to express; but, i want some other suggestion too. My eyes were bleeding while reading about express, H&M, Zara, and other stuffs on this forum. I have no single idea about suits.

Thanks in advanced.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an important event coming in two days, and I don't know where to find the suits. I am a fresh high school graduate; so, my budget is around 200 to 500. I would like to get a slim suit (Not too skinny).

I am short and have small body frame. So, it's very tough to find a suit that fits me. I currently lives in CO.

Here is my stat

Height : 5' 6"
Chest: 33" - 34"
Waist: 29"

Well, I am thinking about going to express; but, i want some other suggestion too. My eyes were bleeding while reading about express, H&M, Zara, and other stuffs on this forum. I have no single idea about suits.

Thanks in advanced.
Are you near Denver?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have left it far too late - go and trudge round shops and find something.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have left it far too late - go and trudge round shops and find something.

jacket

Reaction score
For future reference, the fashion forward brands like band, Thom Browne, black fleece make suits that look normal on shorter guys at the expense of narrower lapels and other various odd details, but they may be out of your price range.

Umoux

Reaction score
David : yes I am in Denver.
Master : reading the thread.
Jacket and gbr : nice tips

Thanks guys

David Copeland

Reaction score
David : yes I am in Denver.
Today, Nordstroms is open . . . and they have tailors who can make sure you are properly sized. A Nordstrom suit is something you can't go wrong with, and they even carry their own brand - and have some great guarantees.

Also, ask them about the Allen Edmonds Shoes - which will top off your appearance in a professional manner.

Good luck on your appointment

Umoux

Reaction score
Thanks, David; I just came back from the search of the suit. Jesus! Every suit is big.. T.T But I found one from H&M which is only $70 and it fits great to me yet the sleeves are long. So, I decided to do this: buy the suit from H&M and have it done by a tailor at Men's wearhouse for just $25. Is this a good idea?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, David; I just came back from the search of the suit. Jesus! Every suit is big.. T.T But I found one from H&M which is only $70 and it fits great to me yet the sleeves are long. So, I decided to do this: buy the suit from H&M and have it done by a tailor at Men's wearhouse for just $25. Is this a good idea?

Sounds fine, but you can find tailors outside of places like Mens Wearhouse. In fact, going someplace independent would probably be a better idea- more likely to be able to work with you on getting something back quickly, and probably cheaper, too. And be aware that the quality of H&M is awful, so if you were planning on using this for interviews, it's probably best for a rethink.

Oh, and everything seems big because a 33"-34" chest is seriously skinny. Hit the gym. I'm 5'6" and in good shape, though hardly a bodybuilder (at least upper body- hockey has my legs looking pretty good), and my chest is 36".

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
Shortening the sleeves on a men's suit jacket is limited, because too shorten sleeves will appear too close to the sleeve buttons and may look like a monkey suit.

It is important for you to get professional advice from a reliable men's store. Mens Warehouse may offer some advice, but be careful of high pressure salesmen. Nordstroms has the nations highest rating for low pressure free professional advice because they want to serve your needs for generations to come.

Here is a video and a link to sizing: Click Here

By the way, perhaps I missed it , , , but what is the purpose of your meeting? (details?)

Umoux

Reaction score
@cptjeff ~ Yea, I read reviews for H&M too. I just can't help it. Btw, I just finish high school and I was a swimmer at school. I don't really have buffed body. It's just too lean. I am thinking about working out in college though.

@David ~ Cool, I will visit NordStroms and get some advice. The event is for a full ride scholarship invitation for the recepients; it's considered very prestigeous here.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shortening the sleeves on a men's suit jacket is limited, because too shorten sleeves will appear too close to the sleeve buttons and may look like a monkey suit.

You do realize that as long as they're not functional (and they usually aren't) they can move the buttons, right?

@cptjeff ~ Yea, I read reviews for H&M too. I just can't help it. Btw, I just finish high school and I was a swimmer at school. I don't really have buffed body. It's just too lean. I am thinking about working out in college though.

@David ~ Cool, I will visit NordStroms and get some advice. The event is for a full ride scholarship invitation for the recepients; it's considered very prestigeous here.

It's not just reading reviews- I've handled the stuff. Fine for a casual beater, but I wouldn't want to wear H&M for an event that mattered. Fortunately, you're just out of high school, so nobody will be expecting too much. You get credit just for showing up in a shirt and tie with pants that aren't jeans.

Last edited:

Hiras Fashion

Reaction score
Since you're pressed for time, you can always check out the retail stores and try on a few styles that suit your body type and the salesperson would be more than happy to assist you during your visit. Those stores can usually accommodate alterations if necessary. In the future though, we would advise you to eventually invest in custom made suits or shirts as you can customize your clothing from the fabric used down to the detailing without breaking the bank.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$70 will not have bought you a decent suit at all. Aim to replace it as soon as possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics