1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me find suits (I am short)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Umoux, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Umoux

Umoux New Member

Hello,

I have an important event coming in two days, and I don't know where to find the suits. I am a fresh high school graduate; so, my budget is around 200 to 500. I would like to get a slim suit (Not too skinny).

I am short and have small body frame. So, it's very tough to find a suit that fits me. I currently lives in CO.

Here is my stat

Height : 5' 6"
    Chest: 33" - 34"
    Waist: 29"

Well, I am thinking about going to express; but, i want some other suggestion too. My eyes were bleeding while reading about express, H&M, Zara, and other stuffs on this forum. I have no single idea about suits.

Thanks in advanced.

2. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Are you near Denver?

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

You have left it far too late - go and trudge round shops and find something.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

You have left it far too late - go and trudge round shops and find something.

5. jacket

jacket Senior member

For future reference, the fashion forward brands like band, Thom Browne, black fleece make suits that look normal on shorter guys at the expense of narrower lapels and other various odd details, but they may be out of your price range.

6. Umoux

Umoux New Member

David : yes I am in Denver.
    Master : reading the thread.
    Jacket and gbr : nice tips

Thanks guys

7. David Copeland

Today, Nordstroms is open . . . and they have tailors who can make sure you are properly sized. A Nordstrom suit is something you can't go wrong with, and they even carry their own brand - and have some great guarantees.

Also, ask them about the Allen Edmonds Shoes - which will top off your appearance in a professional manner.

Good luck on your appointment

8. Umoux

Umoux New Member

Thanks, David; I just came back from the search of the suit. Jesus! Every suit is big.. T.T But I found one from H&M which is only $70 and it fits great to me yet the sleeves are long. So, I decided to do this: buy the suit from H&M and have it done by a tailor at Men's wearhouse for just $25. Is this a good idea?

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Sounds fine, but you can find tailors outside of places like Mens Wearhouse. In fact, going someplace independent would probably be a better idea- more likely to be able to work with you on getting something back quickly, and probably cheaper, too. And be aware that the quality of H&M is awful, so if you were planning on using this for interviews, it's probably best for a rethink.

Oh, and everything seems big because a 33"-34" chest is seriously skinny. Hit the gym. I'm 5'6" and in good shape, though hardly a bodybuilder (at least upper body- hockey has my legs looking pretty good), and my chest is 36".

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  10. David Copeland

Shortening the sleeves on a men's suit jacket is limited, because too shorten sleeves will appear too close to the sleeve buttons and may look like a monkey suit.

It is important for you to get professional advice from a reliable men's store. Mens Warehouse may offer some advice, but be careful of high pressure salesmen. Nordstroms has the nations highest rating for low pressure free professional advice because they want to serve your needs for generations to come.

Here is a video and a link to sizing: Click Here

By the way, perhaps I missed it , , , but what is the purpose of your meeting? (details?)

11. Umoux

Umoux New Member

@cptjeff ~ Yea, I read reviews for H&M too. I just can't help it. Btw, I just finish high school and I was a swimmer at school. I don't really have buffed body. It's just too lean. I am thinking about working out in college though.

@David ~ Cool, I will visit NordStroms and get some advice. The event is for a full ride scholarship invitation for the recepients; it's considered very prestigeous here.

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

You do realize that as long as they're not functional (and they usually aren't) they can move the buttons, right?

It's not just reading reviews- I've handled the stuff. Fine for a casual beater, but I wouldn't want to wear H&M for an event that mattered. Fortunately, you're just out of high school, so nobody will be expecting too much. You get credit just for showing up in a shirt and tie with pants that aren't jeans.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  13. Hiras Fashion

Hiras Fashion Senior member

Since you're pressed for time, you can always check out the retail stores and try on a few styles that suit your body type and the salesperson would be more than happy to assist you during your visit. Those stores can usually accommodate alterations if necessary. In the future though, we would advise you to eventually invest in custom made suits or shirts as you can customize your clothing from the fabric used down to the detailing without breaking the bank.

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

$70 will not have bought you a decent suit at all. Aim to replace it as soon as possible.

15. GBR

GBR Senior member

$70 will not have bought you a decent suit at all. Aim to replace it as soon as possible.

16. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

+1. H&M will be fine for you.

17. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Is this ad copy? This has not been my experience. The last time I was there some douche was begging me to try on a Hugo Boss suit.....after he told me he'd get out of my way and let me browse.

18. David Copeland

Absolutely. But that would require more of the tailor's time . . . beyond the simple free "hem the pants" and pull the cuff up a tad.

19. David Copeland

No doubt you had a bad experience. People are people, but the rating is for overall customer service as a company.

Another great company whose customer satisfaction and warranty is . . . Costco.