• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please explain the mortgage information cartel

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1) Why is it impossible to check rates online? I know you can do it in a general way, but to learn anything specific, you have to enter reams of personal info, and then they will "get back to you"--meanwhile selling all your info to every spammer in the universe. Is tehre some effective cartel that builds walls around this information?

2) The last time I checked into this, I was able to get the info by calling around. It was inefficient but I did at least get the info. No longer. People will not tell me on the phone. Send us all your info and we will call you back. No thanks.

What gives?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Well, how hard would it be to make a website where you could input your credit score?

The averages are worthless, there is too much variation for a variety of reasons.

Honestly, it's like calling a store and asking "What's the price of X?" and being told, "Send us your name, address, SSN and tax returns, and we'll call you back in a few days." Really outrageous.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What would make it unrealiable?

There are a handful of variables: home value, loan amount, credit score, zipcode, really those four. Anyone in the business knows instantly what today's rates are and can run the number instantly if they want to.

Obviously they don't want to, they want to extort personal info. What I don't understand is why some entrepreneur has not been able to break the cartel with a very simple website.

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
What would make it unrealiable?

There are a handful of variables: home value, loan amount, credit score, zipcode, really those four. Anyone in the business knows instantly what today's rates are and can run the number instantly if they want to.

Obviously they don't want to, they want to extort personal info. What I don't understand is why some entrepreneur has not been able to break the cartel with a very simple website

Loan product?

conforming vs non conforming, fixed or arm, FHA, VA

then within ARM, you have your 5/1, 7/1 10/1 Libors then other ones with different adjustment periods etc.

Then throw in the mix term, 15 years, 10 year, 20 year, 30 year etc.

then the amount of points

refi vs purchase,

occupancy: owner occupied vs rental

dwelling type: sfr vs condo vs 2-4 unit

relationship with the lender

lots of variables, would be hard for someone to quote you, plus if i was a sales guy i'd want you in my office so we can discuss what you are looking for and what would suit your needs then close the sale

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
All this could easily be enabled on a website. And it still doesn't make sense why they won't tell me on the phone.

It's the age of "big data." everyone has google/facebook envy, so even if the transaction is, you give them money, they give you product/service, even just to get a price quote in 2013, you have to turn over all your commodized personal information.

Yet another sign of the corruption of our times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads