• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my TaT suit

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I just received this suit last week, and I figured I'd post up some pictures in order to get some advice for adjustments on subsequent orders. I feel a pretty decent job was done for the first time through the process. I intend to have my tailor shorten the sleeves a touch, and to remove the break on the trousers. If anyone can suggest any additional improvements I'd appreciate it. Depending on how I stand, there is some wrinkling in the arms. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Here are the photos:

TaT-Front.jpg
TaT-Side.jpg
TaT-Back.jpg

And of course, if anyone cares...shoe detail:

Shoes.jpg

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is hard to see with the darkness of the pictures but it looks great!

Nice cut on you!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks pretty good. is this right out of the box? there seem to be a couple wrinkles around the shoulder/sleeve head area.

The only thing I'd suggest you alter is the pant length.....you need less break.

mikemas22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I just received this suit last week, and I figured I'd post up some pictures in order to get some advice for adjustments on subsequent orders. I feel a pretty decent job was done for the first time through the process. I intend to have my tailor shorten the sleeves a touch, and to remove the break on the trousers. If anyone can suggest any additional improvements I'd appreciate it. Depending on how I stand, there is some wrinkling in the arms. Any ideas as to what is causing this?
Not bad for the first order. GetSmart really IS a pro. Little tweaks: shorter trousers (perhaps also a little wider leg opening, just a little), slightly longer jacket (by 0.5'')

Closer

Reaction score
The pictures are dark and fuzzy so it is hard to nit-pick. I will say that overall the silhouette is pleasing.

Please let me know what model this is. Is it the 2-button or 1 button?

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I will definitely be getting the pants shortened to lessen the break.

As for whether the suit as right out of the box, I did my best to steam the wrinkles out but I guess I didn't get all of them. When I go to get the alterations done, I'll have them press it for me.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Closer
The pictures are dark and fuzzy so it is hard to nit-pick. I will say that overall the silhouette is pleasing.

Please let me know what model this is. Is it the 2-button or 1 button?

I apologize for the dark photos.

The suit is the 2 button conservative cut.

literasyme

Reaction score
Looks sort of OK overall, for a first try. You know about the trousers; I'd also shorten the sleeves a bit, but that's a matter of personal preference. The shoulders look a little wide, maybe half an inch or so on each side.

Closer

Reaction score
I apologize for the dark photos.

The suit is the 2 button conservative cut.

Thank you. I think I shall finally order a TAT suit myself.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Looks sort of OK overall, for a first try. You know about the trousers; I'd also shorten the sleeves a bit, but that's a matter of personal preference. The shoulders look a little wide, maybe half an inch or so on each side.

I had initially submitted 18.5 for the shoulder measurement, but I was a little unsure. Jason suggested and I agreed it would be safer to make them 19, rather than risk having something that was unfixable. I agree though that the shoulders could be a touch smaller.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
If I buy a suit in the immediate future, I will almost certainly go TaT. Unfortunately, I have a number of suits already, and very few occasions to wear them, so we'll see.

I think your cut looks very good. You know about the sleeve and pant length. While the shoulders might be able to be a a little narrower, I think they look pretty good as is and are much better than a lot of what you see, even on here.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall looks quite good. Maybe a little off the trouser length and I probably wouldn't shorten the sleeve more than another 1/4", but that's subjective.

If you order another suit in the future, you might consider narrowing the shoulders a little bit. You should send them a photo and let them decide.

Icarium

Reaction score
And of course, if anyone cares...shoe detail...
AE Strand in burnished brown calf? I wish the pics had a little more ISO; a bit hard to tell what is going on. I think the other guys pretty much covered it though. Overall looks really good - quite similar cut and fabric to the suit Jason just finished for me, in fact. The wrinkles near the sleeve head may be a little bit of a sleeve pitch incompatibility, or it could just be your stance. Even if it is the sleeve pitch, it doesn't seem major at all. Once you shorten up you pants hem, you will really like them. I am a big fan of the tapered leg on Jason's usual cut, even if some people aren't. It just doesn't look good with more than a very slight break.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad to hear there is no major flaws that I was unaware of. I will get those sleeves and pants shortened up tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Icarium
AE Strand in burnished brown calf?

I wish the pics had a little more ISO; a bit hard to tell what is going on. I think the other guys pretty much covered it though. Overall looks really good - quite similar cut and fabric to the suit Jason just finished for me, in fact.

The wrinkles near the sleeve head may be a little bit of a sleeve pitch incompatibility, or it could just be your stance. Even if it is the sleeve pitch, it doesn't seem major at all.

Once you shorten up you pants hem, you will really like them. I am a big fan of the tapered leg on Jason's usual cut, even if some people aren't. It just doesn't look good with more than a very slight break.

I like the tapered leg on the pants as well. I think it is a very clean look when hemmed properly.

As for the shoes, they are actually Alden. They were formerly burnished tan, but I did a lot of work on them to get the new colour. Kind of an antiquing project gone wrong. Not quite what I was going for, but I still think they look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads