• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please comment on shoes

aaaabbbb

Reaction score
Looking to buy this pair but hesitating. It's not to wear with suit, more of a casual type.. Restaurants, dates. Thanks in advance.

Shoes from Ted Baker

traditional AE

Reaction score
not familiar with the brand, but I think the style is excellent. Very versatile shoe. Belts can be a pain with hues of tan, but you should be able to find something.

traditional AE

Reaction score
I respect your right to an opinion, but what is distasteful about a burnished walnut balmoral wingtip? Specifically. Thanks in advance.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I respect your right to an opinion, but what is distasteful about a burnished walnut balmoral wingtip? Specifically. Thanks in advance.

balance of the pattern is wrong, last shape is awful, toe spring is way too high, poor quality corrected leather, bad burnish job etc....

It is just a cheap shoe and I think that Trompe de Monde is stating that with one adjective. When you compare it to a shoe that actually looks nice, i.e. the one in the picture attached, or even the Allen Edmonds Strand which would be in between the two, you then see how the quality and elegance is lacking in the original shoe in question

traditional AE

Reaction score
Fair enough. Now that you point out those specific things I cannot disagree. Again, I am unaware of the maker, and in retrospect my favorable comment was probably too generic. I have Strands, McGregors, and Walton boots in a similar pattern/color and I have found them infinitely acceptable in a casual setting. The devil was in the details and I failed to recognize. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Fair enough. Now that you point out those specific things I cannot disagree. Again, I am unaware of the maker, and in retrospect my favorable comment was probably too generic. I have Strands, McGregors, and Walton boots in a similar pattern/color and I have found them infinitely acceptable in a casual setting. The devil was in the details and I failed to recognize. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

My pleasure!

How do you know is poor quality corrected leather just looking at the picture?

all embossed leather in theory is corrected grain and you can tell of it's quality at the toe. Also I know that Ted Baker is not making anything of high quality. That is just something you know from seeing enough of their shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads