• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

picts of one of my zegna and collezioni suits

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Hello members. Just got camera happy today and wanted to share picts of some of my suits and see what you all thought. The tie is alby, the shirt is ike behar, and the suit is either zegna reddish brown w/pinstripes...or my collezioni which is charcoal grey w/light grey pins. Both suits are 100% wool, and are 3 button 44regular w/size 36 waist and 32 inseam. Both hang and feel great. I have had light alterations on them on the midsection to create more of a tapered look Both suits were bought for under 200 dollars a piece and have original price tags of 1695 and 1380 respetively. Please click on the images for the larger view. Attachment 2372 zegna suit Attachment 2371 zegna suit details Armani Collezioni suit Attachment 2373 Armani Collezioni suit w/Rolex w/diamond bezel

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
So how do these RTW suits look?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nighttrain7404
So how do these RTW suits look?
Well, I guess I will say it because nobody else will: 1. The first is not really a Zegna suit. 2. You do take the wrist tags off before you wear them, don't you? 3. Not many here are fans of Armani Collezioni (or other Armani). I haven't tried one since maybe 1992 so I have no real opinion.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Well, I guess I will say it because nobody else will:

1. The first is not really a Zegna suit.
2. You do take the wrist tags off before you wear them, don't you?
3. Not many here are fans of Armani Collezioni (or other Armani). I haven't tried one since maybe 1992 so I have no real opinion.

Yep.... Once you try Kiton or Brioni or Borrelli... Armani is simply well, crap.

Yes, the 1st one is not a Zegna... but the fabric is.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Well, I guess I will say it because nobody else will: 1. The first is not really a Zegna suit. 2. You do take the wrist tags off before you wear them, don't you? 3. Not many here are fans of Armani Collezioni (or other Armani). I haven't tried one since maybe 1992 so I have no real opinion.
Oh come on guys...I can take criticism really easiliy! Comment on the watches and bling threads too! I love your opinions..I don't really care/mind if you have negative comments. HONESTY IS GREAT! OF course I take the tags off. These suits have never been worn. They are still w/tags on so they can be returned =) I know that people think of Armani as crap here on the forum...but again..I didn't pay thousands for it and paid very little so i thought they'd both be serviceable. Elaborate please on why the first is not a zegna suit?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OF course I take the tags off. These suits have never been worn.
I know that people think of Armani as crap here on the forum...but again..I didn't pay thousands for it and paid very little so i thought they'd both be serviceable.

Elaborate please on why the first is not a zegna suit?

Wrong tag. The fabric is Zegna, the suit is not.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Well, I guess I will say it because nobody else will:

1. The first is not really a Zegna suit.
2. You do take the wrist tags off before you wear them, don't you?
3. Not many here are fans of Armani Collezioni (or other Armani). I haven't tried one since maybe 1992 so I have no real opinion.

OF course I take the tags off. These suits have never been worn.
I know that people think of Armani as crap here on the forum...but again..I didn't pay thousands for it and paid very little so i thought they'd both be serviceable.

Elaborate please on why the first is not a zegna suit?(stuff I need to know..so I could return this)

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
Yep.... Once you try Kiton or Brioni or Borrelli... Armani is simply well, crap.

Yes, the 1st one is not a Zegna... but the fabric is.

Absolutely. I posted a thread of how I tried on some Attolini suits in Los Angeles at the worldsfinest boutique.

I am getting there fellas, but still have these other suits laying around =)

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Wrong tag. The fabric is Zegna, the suit is not.

Is this one of those farmed out deals? Another brand and they get zegna fabric?

And what's the difference and negatives of this?

This is useful info because I can return this suit immediately =)
Even if I saved 70%...if it's a crappy suit..I'll want my 30% back and put it towards an Attolini =)

c55

Reaction score
I saw those zegna fabric suits at marshalls and Tj's, pretty nice fabric and not a bad suit for $140.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is this one of those farmed out deals? Another brand and they get zegna fabric?

And what's the difference and negatives of this?

This is useful info because I can return this suit immediately =)
Even if I saved 70%...if it's a crappy suit..I'll want my 30% back and put it towards an Attolini =)

No, Zegna is first and foremost a fabric company. There are suits in the world made from Zegna fabrics that suck and are filled with glue (I am suspecting yours falls into this catagory), and there are suits made from Zegna fabric that are 100x the suit that any Zegna is. That particular label you have refers only to the cloth and not the suitmaker.

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
No, Zegna is first and foremost a fabric company. There are suits in the world made from Zegna fabrics that suck and are filled with glue (I am suspecting yours falls into this catagory), and there are suits made from Zegna fabric that are 100x the suit that any Zegna is. That particular label you have refers only to the cloth and not the suitmaker.

How do you know it's from glue? I've examined the suits fully and am trying to know the specifics so I can watch out for these things.

I do notice that some of these suits are quite stiff. Others are flexible in the arms and have the same build quality...

hanker565

Reaction score
How do you know it's from glue? I've examined the suits fully and am trying to know the specifics so I can watch out for these things. I do notice that some of these suits are quite stiff. Others are flexible in the arms and have the same build quality...
You can use the pinch test to find out if the suit is canvassed or fused. Pinch the jacket at the bottom (below the buttons) and feel if there is a third layer floating between the front and back. If there is, the jacket is canvassed and it's a good suit. The Collezioni suit will most likely be fused...

MrRogers

Reaction score
Nigttrain, I agree with most that armani is just not up to par with many other labels, however, I too have a few armani sportcoats hanging in my closet. A few weeks ago at saks off fifth I picked up a grey armani sportcoat with a large scale cream windowpane for a very reasonable price. While the garment is fused, the fit is perfect and the piece is very versatile. With my line of work, I cannot always wear top shelf stuff for fear of it getting dirty or runied, for this purpose such a garment makes sense. If the price is right, you made a right decision; we cant all wear attolini, all the time.

MrR

Of course, if you think of paying full retail for any armani garment, you've lost your mind

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn, nighttrain-- this ain't lookin good. I knew as soon as i saw the fabric tag on the sleeve of the zegna that it was the cloth that was zegna, not the suit-- as matt pointed out. these are sold a-plenty on ebay, as well.

argh....you tried on a wonderfully made Sartoria Attolini suit, which is discussed at at Bergdorf by the tailors and personal shoppers as one of the finest brands-- and one of the favorites-- they have ever carried, they want to get it back in the store again. neopolitian tailoring (for an american market, of course) of a very high calibre--- and you ended up with a $200 fake zegna suit?

Dude, you had better get in touch with Ian soon, and get kitted out in a proper suit!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads