• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pickashoe - Vivo barefoot

nox

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try one of these shoes for a while. I'm looking for something to wear with jeans.

(strange hippies think that thick rubber soles are bad for you)

http://www.terraplana.com/mens-vivo-...l=true&sort=4a
Which one of these is the least ugly?

I was looking at the black leather dharma or the dark brown oak, but I could be convinced to look at something less formal too. (or just give up entirely)

Oxnard

Reaction score
The shoes aren't so hot, but man that article that you have linked is pretty interesting. I have read that elsewhere how thick, technology-laden soles actually make your feet more prone to injury. Don't really know what to make of that myself, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

dubcbadass

Reaction score
Long time bike racer/sometimes trail/long distance runner here. I got in with an online community of folks who does barefoot/minimalist running. Anecdotally, I would say it is true that the barefoot thing is good for the feet (and legs and knees and hips and back, etc.) and, as there is no good scientific evidence for shoes vs. no shoes, just shoes vs. other shoes, anecdotes seem pretty good to me. When I run in my bike racing off-season, I wear Barefoot Ted Huarache Sandals, NB 790s and Vibram Fivefinger Classics, all abortions to look at (except the huarahces which have a primitive charm), but very functional. Vivo was a brand I was looking at. Feelmax is another. Then, there is always the Asics Tai Chi, which has already been bashed here. If anyone else has any barefoot/minimalist, but SF-approved, ideas, let's hear 'em.

nox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dubcbadass
Barefoot Ted Huarache Sandals

Holy crap! Make your own sandal kits!
http://barefootted.com/shop/

Apparently barefoot hippies stump SF.
frown.gif

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Vivo Barefoots run pretty wide and have an awkward, duck-foot like silhouette. I've ordered them before and had to return them they were so ugly. Of the Vivo's on their website right now (they have a shop in SoHo), these are the least offensive, I guess because they're the most plain:
948_beigecanvas_n.jpg
For alternatives for everyday use, the more flexible and thin the sole the better. This will include anything with a boat shoe sole (Sperry's, Sebago, etc.) or a camp sole (Quoddy's, Russell Moccasins, LL Beans, etc), or simple a leather bottom (Quoddy and other moccasin companies). If you're looking for something to run in, just came across this: http://www.barefootrunner.com/

nox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by timpoblete
The Vivo Barefoots run pretty wide and have an awkward, duck-foot like silhouette. I've ordered them before and had to return them they were so ugly.

You're right. It's really obvious in the top-down views! I had never checked. They have that design to enable your toes to spread out inside the shoe...but..damn...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads