• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

put a big 0 on teh dotted line and write down your total on the line below. simple as that playa. otherwise, and I could be lying, they'll add 2 or 3 dollars to the tip line.

I just mark a line through the tip amount

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Let's hear the stereotypes.

Ha ha...

Women are consistently the worst tippers. Its a soft grift, 12, 13, 14%, as I said above, always subtle, never generous. Rarely does a woman give 10%, almost never about 15%.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct, wait staff earns a bit more than $2 an hour. Grocery baggers are paid hourly.

Waiters are pretty much the only tipped job that you earn so little an hour. That is why the tips are so important.

still why should i tip so much knwoing that the person is working another 4-5 tables? should a waiter honeslty expect to bring in about minimum 80 an hour? I pay quality solictors less.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
put a big 0 on teh dotted line and write down your total on the line below. simple as that playa. otherwise, and I could be lying, they'll add 2 or 3 dollars to the tip line.

Not saying it never happens, but thats a really good way to lose your job over $2 or $3.

I'm not saying it does happen but, you can never be to sure.

I worked as a waiter in a Chinese dine in restaurant in high school and then again in college. My base pay was $2.25 per hour before tax (yes they tax that ****). I never had any formal training, but I considered myself pretty good at doing the job. I always checked on the customers at least twice after bringing them their food and refilled their drinks whenever the buser was busy. The experience definitely opened up about the harsh reality faced by service industry members.

People complain about waiters/waitresses feeling entitled, you should have seen how entitled some of the patrons felt. Since my income depended on customers, I, sometimes, felt like a slave trying to earn that 4 or 5 dollars. People show no respect nor common courtesy to the waiting staff. Often those who demanded and requested the most end up tipping the least.

I definitely learned a lot working at those places and realized a common courtesy between two people can go a long way.

Like some of the above posters have said, stereotypes exist for a reason and they were so true 99% of the time when I worked as a waiter.

that's greed to teh max.

my brother works for a chinese restarurante and he's convinced the owner is the real life version of Mr.Krabs. The other day he was pissed off because one of the cooks gave a customer a free eggroll. total loss; $1.

I like it when waitresses recommend me dishes like they know what's up. I mean, their palates are likely rubbish anyway but I find it endearing especially if the server is adorable looking.

It's espeically endearing if the recommended dish is the most expensive on the menu. They have your best interests in mind.

In my 4 years of restaurant experience, I have never seen this happen. That could a be potential lawsuit situation.

last time i went to chili's they charged me an extra $30. anything is possible.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

still why should i tip so much knwoing that the person is working another 4-5 tables? should a waiter honeslty expect to bring in about minimum 80 an hour? I pay quality solictors less.

You just dont want to conform to a different system. I get it.

You KNOW they dont make $80 an hour. They make about 10-20$/hr over a 9 hour shift. If they made 80 there would be much more and better waiters out there.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You just dont want to conform to a different system. I get it.

You KNOW they dont make $80 an hour. They make about 20$/hr over a 9 hour shift. If they made 80 there would be much more and better waiters out there.

it is not that i do nto see the work done worth that money
lets keep your 20 an hour basis. that is an absurd of amount for the job being done? honestly they make about 40 k being waiter more than teachers make or jobs that require greater skills

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I do, but I just don't like the experience of it. You are usually signing it right in front of the person and it ads a layer of unwarranted guilt. I wish they just wouldn't do it in the first place, since there is no real reason these people should EXPECT to be tipped.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

it is not that i do nto see the work done worth that money
lets keep your 20 an hour basis. that is an absurd of amount for the job being done? honestly they make about 40 k being waiter more than teachers make or jobs that require greater skills

My last year as a waiter was 1995 or 6. I made 60k that year. Its not much money. Stress? Late nights? No benefits? Problems getting loans from tip wages? Really man, its a ****** job that most would rather take the lower paying job. BUT, its the kind of job that if you hustle you can do well.

Best night I ever had was NYears eve 1994, $700 bucks in 1 night.

You want to complain about pay? There are bartenders out there making over 100k easy, many more. To pour a ******* drink? Serve a beer? Now thats bullshit.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do, but I just don't like the experience of it. You are usually signing it right in front of the person and it ads a layer of unwarranted guilt. I wish they just wouldn't do it in the first place, since there is no real reason these people should EXPECT to be tipped.

So true.

My last year as a waiter was 1995 or 6. I made 60k that year. Its not much money. Stress? Late nights? No benefits? Problems getting loans from tip wages? Really man, its a ****** job that most would rather take the lower paying job. BUT, its the kind of job that if you hustle you can do well.

You want to complain about pay? There are bartenders out there making over 100k easy, many more. To pour a ******* drink? Serve a beer? Now thats bullshit.

I believe the term is mixologist but, anyway you put it; you're still puring a ******* drink lol.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i am nto complaining, not do i ***** baout alot i simply explaining why i think the over 10% is absurd. all jobs have stress, many jobs have late nights all those do nto jsutify a more than 40k salary

the barternters i tip have to do more than pour drinks they have ot make them and not **** them up(which is harder than it sounds).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i am nto complaining, not do i ***** baout alot i simply explaining why i think the over 10% is absurd. all jobs have stress, many jobs have late nights all those do nto jsutify a more than 40k salary

the barternters i tip have to do more than pour drinks they have ot make them and not **** them up(which is harder than it sounds).

Having done both jobs, I can assure you 1000% that a waiter's job is much harder than a bartender. Barternding is easy.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Man, it's times like these I wish I lived in a different era -- back when you could grab and slap anything you felt like. Nowadays, you get written up for sexual harassment whatever that means.

She will sue you for the look of lust in your eyes..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads