• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat Advice

DocHunter

Reaction score
Looking to get myself a new peacoat for the winter. Can any of the knowledgable folk around here recommend me sub $500 options for a nice pea coat?

MrFab

Reaction score
I just went through a long search and found one. Totally amazing from Paul Smith (double breasted w/brass buttons and fantastic slim cut) that I paid $700 for. I initially wanted to get one for under that price too but I figured that a pea coat is such a classic piece that will last a while that it was worth splurging a little extra to get the one I totally loved. That said, Hugo Boss and Theory make some nice ones, as does Ralph Lauren (polo i believe for that price). I guess you could also check ebay to see if someone is selling them at a big discount, but you need to be careful with that. Good luck!

presence

Reaction score
Schotts has been making quality peacoats forever. Check out their website.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered and received an Authentic peacoat from Sterlingwear of Boston. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It is the same model that is issued to US Navy sailors. It is US-made, extremely well constructed, satin lined and is seriously heavy! I don't think I am going to have any trouble with the cold this winter.
smile.gif
Here is the one I got. I have 39" chest and I ordered a 38S - it fits really well and I don't think I need to tweak it at all. At $120, I can't imagine a better value. http://www.sterlingwear.com/authenticmens1.html
autmens.jpg

boston009

Reaction score
I got a Navy issue one for $150. It's fantastic. If you have a friend in the Navy who can hook you up, I would definitely recommend it...

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also own a Sterlingwear Authentic, in charcoal gray. I had to order mine because of the non-standard color and the size (40L), but I'm very happy with it. I wear it all the time in winter, since it's quite warm, fits well, and looks good. The only downside for me is the scratchiness of the fabric.

Trojanman74

Reaction score
this is really good to hear because i just found a pea coat that was 50 dollars in my size.

how do you tell if it's navy issue?

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the tags inside. Military issue clothes have verbose descriptions with lots of commas, like "Coat, men's, all-weather, wool," and at least one longish number printed on the materials tag. Items actually issued usually bear another tag with a name and serial number written in Sharpie; else this is written on the garment itself.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a Barbour short pea coat, and it's great - slim fit, and not too heavy, comes down just over ******, but should keep me warm. $399 full retail. It is a little different than the Navy issue ones (slimmer and more pockets as far as I can tell), but Barbour knows their way around outdoor clothes, so I am not worried.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads