• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pastel colors

the_sulks

Reaction score
Can anybody explain to me why it is supposed to wear pastel colors in warm summers but not in cold winters? What’s wrong with wearing pastels all year round if they match your low-contrast complexion pretty well?

b9w4

Reaction score
Same reason you don't wear white after Labor Day: because it's the "rules". However, I say if it looks good, wear it!

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The "why" of the pastel / warm weather association dates back, as many things to, to the heyday of the British Empire.

Historically, some of the brighter and livelier clothing dyes came from warm countries (such as India). Accordingly, these colors were often associated with lighter, cool-wearing fabrics and garments from said countries. Ever since, there's been a traditional connection between the wearing of bright colors and the Spring and Summer months.

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dark colors absorb heat in the summer?
weather is typically dark and gray with the winter and bright and sunny in the sprint and summer?
you cant think of anything?

wear what you want when you want. not because of what people tell you. i wear light pastels occasionally in the fall/winter. but not full-blown. obv you would look like quite a fruit with nantucket red pants and mint green shirt and braided cotton belt in a wintry blizzard

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Can anybody explain to me why it is supposed to wear pastel colors in warm summers but not in cold winters? What’s wrong with wearing pastels all year round if they match your low-contrast complexion pretty well?

I say, if it looks good wear it. I wore a pair of white pants with a light weight navy blazer last week when it was 80 (here in Boston) and I got many compliments. Should I have declined to wear white because it was pre labor day? Ef that.

Just anchor your pastels with a dark navy, and wear climate appropriate clothing.

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score

Same reason you don't wear white after Labor Day: because it's the "rules". However, I say if it looks good, wear it!

I'd love to know how come we have these rules. There must be a history.

the_sulks

Reaction score

I say, if it looks good wear it. I wore a pair of white pants with a light weight navy blazer last week when it was 80 (here in Boston) and I got many compliments. Should I have declined to wear white because it was pre labor day? Ef that.
Just anchor your pastels with a dark navy, and wear climate appropriate clothing.

80 degree is a pretty warm weather so white pants are totally okay for that.

shilleck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't really follow the color rules too much, there are days when I just feel like wearing lighter colors even in fall or a combination of both dark and lighter colors.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no idea what the real history is, but I'll mention a few things that sound superficially plausible and may be connected to the rise of pastels as summerwear (while possibly being totally irrelevant):

- the association of pastels with summer and/or casual clothes is not particularly ancient. You can see pastel shades being used in plenty of formal items as recently as pre-French Revolution.
- in the era before (good) colour-fast dyes, people tended to overdye items to ensure a dark, saturated colour. This often washed out over time, especially when exposed to a combination of heavy rain and bright sunshine. Bright 18th/19th century military uniforms often demonstrated this effect (the dye-job tended to be cheaper/lower quality) especially when exposed to climates like India, with its alternating seasons of monsoons and hot sunshine. Redcoat uniforms often turned a bit pastel pink over time.
- some traditional Indian pyjamas tended to be pastel shades (if not white)
- you can construct a possible narrative (which may be entirely a fabrication) of pastels becoming associated with warm weather in the minds of the British (and therefore everywhere else eventually) as a result of the above two factors.
- of course, more recent pop culture like Miami Vice absolutely cemented the association. But those colours reflected pre-existing colour trends though, rather than creating them de novo. It did massively magnify and disseminate the association though.

- leaving weather associations, there's also the association of pastels with femininity and childhood, probably stemming from pastels being fairer/less serious for the fairer sex, or a paler version of "grown-up" colours for children. All "not serious" and therefore for men only suitable for casual wear espeically with sunshine.

- on a pure colour/visual level, pastels are a dark colour mixed with white, and so will appear brighter (and therefore, more pleasing to look at) in bright weather with the sun high in the sky. They tend to look "muddy" in darker weather.

Last edited:

the_sulks

Reaction score
Thanks for your nice posting. I think I’m going to have to continue my exploration on this intricate issue.

sborg

Reaction score
people generally wear colored clothes based on mood as well so maybe the season does have an impact in some ways.

emc894

Reaction score
I sort of thought it was to reflect the generally more vibrant colors of nature in spring and summer.

Wearing pastel pink or green in a grey winter would seem out of place. Just like wearing a drab grey might in spring.

Sunlight favors very bright colors also. It is not a coincidence that Italian coast, Brazil, Spain and south France favor bright colors. North France, areas like Milan, Turin and of course England (and Scotland more so) are more subdued.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads