• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants Fit (Urgent)

Essential

Reaction score
Hey, so I was just received my MTM suit from LSMen's. It fits great but I wanted to something between "enough break" and "no break." I would also like to get it tapered a bit. I posted pictures so you guys can give me opinions on how much I should take it. (need this urgently since I'm going later tonight to get it tailored since I need this suit for Friday)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there is too much break right now. It is tough to say how many inches you want to take up the pants, as we can't see how they sit after bringing them up. Also, if you want them tapered a bit, you will want them even higher, as the tapering will give more break at the same length.

How about bringing them up a half inch, pinning them, and then taking more photos? Also, take a photo with a full-on side view in addition to the 3/4 view.

You can also try pinning them a little on the seams to simulate the tapering, but it may be tough for you to get this right if you have never seen a tailor do this.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Far too much break, another ghastly example of the pit falls of online buying.

Try a local tailor to do the alteration and then if you order a further suit on line you may have a better idea of leg length - for this tailor only. It will cost but better to throw some more money in and get it right.

jawboneofa

Reaction score
It's hard to know exactly what you mean by "between no break and enough break" (wouldn't enough break be...enough?), but my suggestion would be to take them up an inch or so and have from the top of the calf down slimmed. I don't know that you need them to look tapered, but right now they definitely bellow out a little bit. This may simply be a function of their length of course.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Follow-up question: Are you taking them to LS Men's to get tailored in-person? If so, you should be able to work with the tailor there to get the right look

Essential

Reaction score
I think there is too much break right now. It is tough to say how many inches you want to take up the pants, as we can't see how they sit after bringing them up. Also, if you want them tapered a bit, you will want them even higher, as the tapering will give more break at the same length.

How about bringing them up a half inch, pinning them, and then taking more photos? Also, take a photo with a full-on side view in addition to the 3/4 view.

You can also try pinning them a little on the seams to simulate the tapering, but it may be tough for you to get this right if you have never seen a tailor do this.
I brought my pants up to near my navel and it seems to be a lot better. I tried pinning them but for a noob like me, it didn't really work out. I couldn't get as many pictures since no one could help me so I have a few new pictures below after bringing my pants up.

Far too much break, another ghastly example of the pit falls of online buying.
Try a local tailor to do the alteration and then if you order a further suit on line you may have a better idea of leg length - for this tailor only. It will cost but better to throw some more money in and get it right.
Yikes, I bought this MTM from LSMen's in NYC. The reason why there is too much break is because I forgot to wear the proper shoes for the fitting. I'm planning on going back today, if necessary (see above response), to get it fixed.

It's hard to know exactly what you mean by "between no break and enough break" (wouldn't enough break be...enough?), but my suggestion would be to take them up an inch or so and have from the top of the calf down slimmed. I don't know that you need them to look tapered, but right now they definitely bellow out a little bit. This may simply be a function of their length of course.
By enough, I was looking at: http://www.effortlessgent.com/the-break-how-to-choose-the-best-pants-length-how-to-tell-your-tailor/. And does it look fine without being tapered?

Further assessment pictures after bringing my pants up: (sorry for the bad pictures and dirty mirror)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like no break now. I can see your socks. How much did you pull up your pants?

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think your trousers look ok as far as hem length is concerned in the top 'pulled up' pic, but there is a break just below the bum cheeks at the back, and the frontal pics show some wobbles down the inside seams so you could fix those in time

Essential

Reaction score
those things are huge
I blame the American cut! (the place was recommended by the Trad forum)
It looks like no break now. I can see your socks. How much did you pull up your pants?
Not sure but about 1 inch? I'm short so it shows a lot. It's just a bit below my navel now.
I think your trousers look ok as far as hem length is concerned in the top 'pulled up' pic, but there is a break just below the bum cheeks at the back, and the frontal pics show some wobbles down the inside seams so you could fix those in time
I believe the wobbles would be fixed by the tapering? Correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm not sure what you mean by the bum cheeks at the back?

Guess I don't need to fix it as urgently now but I'll take recommendations for the tapering I guess?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that is an awful website.

His too long is not just bad, its awful.

his "medium break" is actually more than a full break and still looks bad.

His no break looks bad because he is just lifting his trousers up. Done properly with the slant, it will look far better, in that you get the crisp crease in the front and the rear of the pants still covers most of the shoes.

I won't even comment on his too short. Thats not too short, thats a specific look.

Stick around if you want better advice.

Essential

Reaction score
that is an awful website.
His too long is not just bad, its awful.
his "medium break" is actually more than a full break and still looks bad.
His no break looks bad because he is just lifting his trousers up. Done properly with the slant, it will look far better, in that you get the crisp crease in the front and the rear of the pants still covers most of the shoes.
I won't even comment on his too short. Thats not too short, thats a specific look.
Stick around if you want better advice.

I had a feeling that was the case. The articles seem to contain empty content and seems to be pretty poorly written. I use it for basics because sites should be getting that wrong- guess that's wrong. SF is still the superlative authority but sometimes it's hard to use the search function because you get so many threads (that may or not really relate to the topic at hand).

Anyways, is there a consensus that the pants look okay for now besides needing a bit of tapering?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, when you have them jacked up like that, they look ok. Keep in mind as the night goes on, they will probably slip down a bit.

Look its far from horrible, just not up to the standards of this forum, which are absurdly high.

You look fine, but do have them tapered when you have time.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All this makes me wonder if the waist is too large and allows the trouser to fall too much.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, when you have them jacked up like that, they look ok. Keep in mind as the night goes on, they will probably slip down a bit.
Try this: http://www.flexbelt.net/how.html

I just ordered one from ebay, but haven't received it yet. By all accounts, it works well. Someone recommended washing in soapy water before use to get rid of the rubbery smell.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MokshVanity