• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pantages Theatre

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm being dragged by my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e to see Wicked at the Pantages Theatre in Los Angeles in a couple of weeks (ok maybe dragged is a little strong). Any recommendations what is considered appropriate attire for the event? Also, can anyone suggest a good place to eat within walking distance of the theatre? Thanks!

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
within walking distance, nothing off the top of my head.

fairly close by, cafe des artistes on mccadden and sunset.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can probably dress however you like. Try to look nice anyways to make your fiancee happy and do us all proud.

I'd try to get a reservation at The Hungry Cat on Vine at Sunset for either before or after the show (it's open late). Another option is Magnolia on Sunset near Ivar. For something cheaper just east of there is Thai town with dozens of good restaurants.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
If you wear jeans/chinos with a polo you'll look like 80% of the male attendees. If you want to look nice but not self-consciously overdressed, a nice pair of odd trousers, shirt and a sportjacket will be fine. Depends on how far you want to walk, there is Micelli's on Las Palma/Hollywood that is about a 10 min walk (maybe .5 mile west). Good Italian food, prices are not expensive for most items ($15 entree on average)

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the great information. I'll definitely check out the restaurant suggestions.

I'll post pics soon (plan on getting a digital camera this weekend) on some of the dress options I'm contemplating.

Thanks again!

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
I'll post pics soon (plan on getting a digital camera this weekend) on some of the dress options I'm contemplating.

please do. like getsmart said, i think a sportcoat sans tie would work well.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well gentlemen, as promised, I've posted a picture of the outfit I wore to the theater this past Friday. Although I didn't feel out of place (you guys were right - I saw everything from jeans and t-shirts to formal evening wear) I still have a lot of work to do.

My fiancÃ
00a9.png
thought my jacket didn't match well with the trousers and looking at the picture I agree. I did ditch the pocket square before leaving the house. I think I'm one of those guys who just can't pull it off. Any critique and guidance is greatly appreciated.

However, I could have done worse. Before I received input here, I was planning on wearing my "vintage" DB Christian Dior Monsieur black pinstriped suit. I think I would have felt self-conscious with that choice.

I definitely need to invest in a nice sport coat - hopefully a TaT.

We went searching for the Magnolia restaurant, but we couldn't find it so we ended up at Miceli's . The food was great. I ordered the spaghetti caruso (chicken liver) and my girl ordered the chicken marsala and shared a bottle of their house Chianti. Excellent meal and I was feeling no pain as we strolled back in time for the show. Looking forward to our next excursion to the theater.

Cheers!

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
Well gentlemen, as promised, I've posted a picture of the outfit I wore to the theater this past Friday. Although I didn't feel out of place (you guys were right - I saw everything from jeans and t-shirts to formal evening wear) I still have a lot of work to do.

My fiancÃ
00a9.png
thought my jacket didn't match well with the trousers and looking at the picture I agree. I did ditch the pocket square before leaving the house. I think I'm one of those guys who just can't pull it off. Any critique and guidance is greatly appreciated.

However, I could have done worse. Before I received input here, I was planning on wearing my "vintage" DB Christian Dior Monsieur black pinstriped suit. I think I would have felt self-conscious with that choice.

I definitely need to invest in a nice sport coat - hopefully a TaT.

We went searching for the Magnolia restaurant, but we couldn't find it so we ended up at Miceli's . The food was great. I ordered the spaghetti caruso (chicken liver) and my girl ordered the chicken marsala and shared a bottle of their house Chianti. Excellent meal and I was feeling no pain as we strolled back in time for the show. Looking forward to our next excursion to the theater.

Cheers!

glad you had a good time. your outfit looks fine to me. i'll only add that i don't wear blue shirts for going out, i would have gone without the sweater, i would have worn a darker pocket square, and keeping your jacket buttoned gives the whole thing a more polished look. if your jacket fits you well, there's no reason to unbutton it unless you want to take it off. tell your girlfriend i like her shoes.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last time I went to see a serious performance in a serious concert hall (Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires) I went dressed in black suit
devil.gif
, white H&K cutaway and white twill tie...I was better dressed than probably 70% of attendees, and Bs As is a city known for dressing well. Thus, I think dress-casual is probably your best bet.

Jon.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
glad you had a good time. your outfit looks fine to me. i'll only add that i don't wear blue shirts for going out, i would have gone without the sweater, i would have worn a darker pocket square, and keeping your jacket buttoned gives the whole thing a more polished look. if your jacket fits you well, there's no reason to unbutton it unless you want to take it off. tell your girlfriend i like her shoes.

Thanks MP - I ended ditching both the pockect square and sweater. The pockect square becuase it didn't look right to me and the sweater because I got marinara sauce all over it
confused.gif

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Last time I went to see a serious performance in a serious concert hall (Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires) I went dressed in black suit
devil.gif
, white H&K cutaway and white twill tie...I was better dressed than probably 70% of attendees, and Bs As is a city known for dressing well. Thus, I think dress-casual is probably your best bet.

Jon.

This was our first outing to the Pantages. It's kind of sad that people don't dress up for a night at the theater anymore. I guess it's for the best - less risk of making an ass of myself
smile.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sportcoat (sans tie) was the way to go (nothing too dressy).

As you saw, Pantages isn`t exactly in a good part of town
laugh.gif

I kinda agree with your GF on the pants. For some reason, they look a little like suit pants in that picture (maybe it`s the material, maybe it`s just the combo).

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I kinda agree with your GF on the pants. For some reason, they look a little like suit pants in that picture (maybe it`s the material, maybe it`s just the combo).

Yea, the pants are Kenneth Cole (cotton & lycra blend stretchy deal). It's funny how I thought they were the coolest pants when I bought them 6 months ago. I promise to donate them to Goodwill.
frown.gif

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How was the show? Next time just walk a block north and go to Musso and Frank Grill @ 6667 Hollywood Blvd. It's a Hollywood landmark.

mbc

Reaction score
I think the only problem with the pants is that they are cut too wide through the legs (although it is hard to tell in that picture). If they were cut slimmer they would look better w/ that jacket.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alphalabscbdus