• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paisley ties, in or out?

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I am getting ready to put in an order for some more ties from Sam Hober. I have a bad habit of ordering several ties every month from David.

What is the consensus of the forum members on paisley ties? David has some that are fairly muted in color and are great looking paisleys. I especially like his Atkinsons Royal Irish Poplin and his Macclesfield Madder printed paisleys.

Are they out of style right now?

Thanks.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love 'em, but only for social occasions. Wouldn't wear one for business. Own about a dozen or so.

dasai

Reaction score
They have their place. Not for business or more formal events, but perfectly acceptable on more festive / relaxed occasions with a suit or sport jacket.

If you're a purist, it has to be madder-dyed on gum twill silk in England.

I got one fitting that exact description on eBay for all of $12.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
They have their place. Not for business or more formal events, but perfectly acceptable on more festive / relaxed occasions with a suit or sport jacket.

If you're a purist, it has to be madder-dyed on gum twill silk in England.

I got one fitting that exact description on eBay for all of $12.

Would these qualify as "purist" ties?

http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield...-silk-ties-en/

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
I have one exactly like number 5. My most popular tie, I pull it out 4/5 times I have a slightly formal social occasion (the only "tie" events I get), and people love it.

ktrp

Reaction score
In or out depends with whom. Most things are simultaneously in and out with different groups at the same time.

Menswear stores in the Toronto area have been showing more paisley ties last season and this season then they have since the early 90's. You can take that for what its worth.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've made it 20 years of owning ties without a paisley, and I think I can manage another 20 without feeling as though I'm missing out.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mariooo

Reaction score
I don't care if something's in or out...

btw - the Atkinsons #10 will be my next purchase
smile.gif

but if you're interested if they are "2010" approved - take a look at Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Inception....
biggrin.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like them, particularly the Madder ones. I only have one but I'd say it's quite understated for a paisley:

IMG00700-20101128-1727.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While respecting the viewpoints against wearing paisley ties for businesswear, I wear them to work all the time and receive frequent compliments from the women at the office.
The company partners seem not to mind either. They are wearing primarily striped ties so I tend to avoid wearing things that compete or could be perceived to compete with them.
That alone makes paisley 'in' in my books. They're also much more interesting than striped ties.

jdldore

Reaction score
I do occasionally wear paisley ties to work, but not to hearings. My wife hates the pattern, but I like it. I am not a fan of Madder-dyed ties, which seem very dreary to me.

The tie pattern that I am seeing more of these days is the pattern that looks like a branch with flowers. I would put that pattern in the same camp as paisley. It's a little bit on the "fun" side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads