• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overhead Squats

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
In addition to, of course not. But front squatting in place of back squatting is IMO. That's just my opinion though. I'm trying to gain size, and nothing helps like back squatting and deadlifts. Of course front squatting is beneficial, but far less than back if ya ask me.

I front squatted for years, at first with dumbbells cleaned to my shoulders, then with the bar, but it wasn't until I focused on back squatting where I made any gains.

Even my arms and chest got bigger back squatting twice a week and bench pressing once a week as opposed to front squatting and bench pressing 3 times a week.

Could just be my ectomorph physiology though, I don't know. But it turned me into a total back squat fanboy. Even when I'm too tired to do a full workout, or lazy, if I can get my back squats done at least, I've accomplished something.

Fair enough - just as you like back squats more, I like front squats more because I feel more of a carryover to overall strength with them.

The exercise I think that really belongs in every routine is the deadlift.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well we can agree there at least. I'd say if you aren't deadlifting you are wasting your time just as much as if you were neglecting back squats. I just never got much benefit from front.

millionaire75

Reaction score
How many times a week would you recommend squat/deadlift. I usually hit each bodypart once a week.

Francis91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
How many times a week would you recommend squat/deadlift. I usually hit each bodypart once a week.

Currently I am following the starting strength routine which calls for squatting 3x per week and deadlifting either 1x or 2x per week.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francis91
Currently I am following the starting strength routine which calls for squatting 3x per week and deadlifting either 1x or 2x per week.

It depends on your program. If I recall Pavel's power to the people book correctly (a routine of only deadlifting and pressing) you deadlift every day.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Other than strength training, do any of these programs (Pavel, starting strenght, etc) also help with weight loss?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than strength training, do any of these programs (Pavel, starting strenght, etc) also help with weight loss?

No.

Eat less and move more. Or as my pal Emerson said, 'A man is fed not that he may be fed, but that he may work.'

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
No.

Eat less and move more. Or as my pal Emerson said, 'A man is fed not that he may be fed, but that he may work.'

Well they're a form of moving as it is. so if they give him one more way to move, why not?
laugh.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With weight loss all you have to worry about is calories burned > calories consumed.
I've been trying the stronglifts 5x5 routine, which calls for deadlifting once a week and squatting 3x a week. 3x is just too much for me so I do it twice. Perhaps the more I do it, the faster I'll recover and be able to go 3x, maybe not. If you are just starting out don't even worry about it. You'll be too sore to sit on the pot to ***********, let alone think about getting back in the rack 2 more times that week. Also don't worry too much about the nausea and vomiting if that happens starting out. I had those problems for about 2 weeks but once I got used to squatting it doesn't upset my pansy ass stomach at all anymore.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
Well they're a form of moving as it is. so if they give him one more way to move, why not?
laugh.gif

Because the fatigue and residual soreness will cause him to move less over a given time period.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Because the fatigue and residual soreness will cause him to move less over a given time period.

Yah if you just want to lose fat then this is true.

However if his overall goal is to look more muscular then a combination of lifting and 'moving around' will probably be a better idea if he's like the vast majority of sedentary people.

theshoemart

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the challenge of doing 15 body weight overhead squats? I've been working on that one for a while. It's a pretty hard thing to achieve. There are some videos on crossfit.com of people successfully doing this. Not easy...

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't even max 1 rep my body weight. About 10 lbs away.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20 lbs away
frown.gif
I think I'll attempt it again when I have a 1.5x bodyweight front squat.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even coming close to a 1.5 bodyweight front squat is pretty god damn impressive. My goal is to work up to a 1.5x back squat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads