• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overhead Squats

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Afraid of giving out and dropping the weight on my head, or smacking myself in the face with the bar lifting it up

Add them to your routine and start light.

You get a great feeling of primal satisfaction when you lift something heavy over your head. Especially if you're jerkin heavy weight overhead.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Afraid of giving out and dropping the weight on my head, or smacking myself in the face with the bar lifting it up

at least you can dump the bar in front or behind you, instead of being stuck under it like on a bench.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked doing overhead squats. Anyone do them with a jump as well? Good stuff...

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I liked doing overhead squats. Anyone do them with a jump as well? Good stuff...

overhead jump squatS!
bounce2.gif

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13

seems like a bad idea, to me at least because I'm a noob...

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
at least you can dump the bar in front or behind you, instead of being stuck under it like on a bench.

I'm gonna start doing these at some point but at my gym you can't drop weights...heck if you start making too much noise with weights hitting the ground all the workers start giving you the staredown lol. So I guess I'll have to be extra careful cuz there's no going back once the weight is up in the air!

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
seems like a bad idea, to me at least because I'm a noob...

It's a bad idea in general. OH squats are tough enough and don't lend themselves to jumping. No one does jumping OH squats (as least with any real weight). The stress on the wrists/shoulders would stop that nonsense pretty quick. Jumping squats...yes; jumping OH squats...no.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
It's a bad idea in general. OH squats are tough enough and don't lend themselves to jumping. No one does jumping OH squats (as least with any real weight). The stress on the wrists/shoulders would stop that nonsense pretty quick. Jumping squats...yes; jumping OH squats...no.

I guess I should have been more clear. I meant the bolded WITHOUT the OH part.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can these be done with dumbells, or is that a recipe for disaster?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine it would be very hard to learn the form with dumbbells. very doable though.

John152

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Can these be done with dumbells, or is that a recipe for disaster?

Doable but much harder. As I said earlier in the thread one of the key points to the OHS is horizontal force on the bar which helps stabilize it overhead. With dumbbells you don't have this so it is much, much more difficult since the dumbbells move in every direction and often end up "rotating" for lack of a better word.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a direct sub since the load will be much ligther than your back squat, but its a great exercise. Why not clean up the weight and then do front squats? Or clean it up and jerk it overhead and do back squats?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah I backburnered these in favor of front squats because I like to overhead press a lot already and my shoulders fatigued too fast. Take some time to learn how to do power cleans and do front squats.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Would these be a decent substitute for a normal squat? I have a barbell, but I don't have a power rack.
I don't think so man. Better than nothing, absolutely, but nothing can substitute back squatting in a rack. If my apt complex gym didn't have a power rack, I wouldn't bother with weight training at all. I've been weight training for years now (granted, not knowing what the hell I was doing), but I noticed 0 gains until I started squatting in the cage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads