• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat Size Question

minorsecond

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm new here, the name is Ross.
I've got a question about an overcoat (obviously) that I just bought at a thrift store. I'm fairly certain that it doesn't fit correctly, but it just seemed too good of a deal to pass up.

It says that it is size 40.
Anyway, do you guys think that this looks ok? I was told by a friend that it does, but I want some other opinions. I could have a friend of mine alter it, but I'd like to know whether I should or not.

Thanks,
Ross

Here are some pictures:

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, I thought you are a priest from looking at the first picture. In any case, the coat looks fine, except the arms seem a bit big.

dagenham

Reaction score
it looks a bit too big, especially in the back shot, looks like the shoulder is hanging off. it also depends if you intend to wear it over a suit jacket, in that case you will need a bit of room in the shoulder area. if you don't plan on wearing it over a suit, then it's too big, imho.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stand up straight! Stop hunching!

Also:

Overcoats of this type are made to wear over a suit coat. Suit coats are 2-4 inches larger than your chest, and overcoats are usually 2-6 inches larger than that. So the measure on a size 40 overcoat could be as much as 50 inches.

If you are going to be wearing it just over a shirt or sweater, as you are in the picture, you may want to get a smaller coat or get this one taken in.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
over a suit it looks just fine. but this is a straight sided coat . if you want more style you could have a tailor shape the sides. and wear a suit coat when hr fits you.

minorsecond

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the advice.

When the first reply said that the sleeves looked too big, did he/she mean too long, or too big around?

I'm going to take it to a tailor tomorrow and see about getting it altered.

Do you guys have any idea about how much money I should plan on spending to get the sleeves taken in, the chest(?) taken in, and the sides fitted.. ?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minorsecond
Thank you guys for the advice.

When the first reply said that the sleeves looked too big, did he/she mean too long, or too big around?

he meant the diameter, so it's "too big around."

Originally Posted by minorsecond
Do you guys have any idea about how much money I should plan on spending to get the sleeves taken in, the chest(?) taken in, and the sides fitted.. ?

you can get the sleeves to taper more for a slimmer arm, however you can't have a higher cut armhole because there is no fabric on the body to cover that missing area which used to be covered by the lower armhole. tapering the arm should be ~$15 each arm, shortening them should be ~$10 if you need to. taking in the sides should be ~$25, and i'm not sure a tailor could take the chest in.

minorsecond

Reaction score
After reading through some other topics, I read that someone was needing to have their shoulders adjusted on their overcoat. They were advised that it would end up being too costly, and wouldn't look right in the end.

Is this going to be the case with mine?

Sorry to bother you guys. I really like the look and feel (and warmth) of this jacket and want to make it look decent to wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads