• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outrageous (according to sf standards) purchases you have witnessed others make

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I can only dream of making $600 mistakes...

Mine unfortunately are normally more expensive than that.

With your post count at SF, wouldn't you know better than doing $600+ mistakes?
laugh.gif

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Perhaps someone should define "sf standards." Are these uniform across the board?

For example, those of us who choose to go the bespoke route -- be it Savile Row, Naples, and/or Hong Kong -- are certainly not going the discount shopping route. If sf standards mean always shopping at a discount ... perhaps I should be criticized for bespeaking my suits & odd coats from Richard Anderson ... when I could be going to sales at Hackett or Bookster Tweed and spending so much less for a "similar" look.

I don't understand the issue here. What is it? Do tell.

Why I've even watched some of our members -- one or two of whom have posted in this thread -- brag about how much they saved on some "wonderful" item only to turn around and sell it at a loss. Why? Because they didn't really need it ... or they decided they couldn't afford it. That to me is the outrageous purchase.

Agreedsies. I think SF is decent in terms of communicating what quality is. Some portion also emphasizes buying used stuff (gross), but I guess people can align themselves anywhere on the ebay - bespoke spectrum and still follow the ethos.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
With your post count at SF, wouldn't you know better than doing $600+ mistakes?
laugh.gif

That is the problem on SF , mistakes are only getting bigger ..

I came on wearing Kiton or Brioni suits and I have finished buying bespoke ones ...

The same for the shoes ,jumping from JM WESTON to Berluti and Lobb to full Gaziano or Delos bespoke...

The more you learn , the less control you have on your spending and it is very addictive...

SF is worse than Meth.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
One day you'll have enough right? Just 1 more suit...

It is the last one before the next one.

Can we create the Bespokists anonymous?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
One day you'll have enough right? Just 1 more suit...
Enough? Never! I keep saying I'll quit ... buying odd coats & suits ... and even style forum ... but it doesn't happen.

I recently needed some new suit bags for coat/suit storage. I ordered a gross from a place in Brooklyn. Now if I order another gross ... all of my suits/coats will be in matching bags ... with a few bags left over.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
yeah. that is all the SAs i run into. i think there is some sort of some push to have them sell something a size bigger than something fitted or the other way, because of in terms of suits, most people out there wear them out of necessity, not out of enjoyment like us. so they would be inclined to make a return or complaint in the comfort area (fitted can perhaps be translated as too tight for most people who would rather wear casual slouchwear) rather than visually incorrect looking.
That doesn't happen where I shop. Perhaps you should consider selecting a tailor or men's specialty store that doesn't operate in this way.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
That is the problem on SF , mistakes are only getting bigger ..

I came on wearing Kiton or Brioni suits and I have finished buying bespoke ones ...

The same for the shoes ,jumping from JM WESTON to Berluti and Lobb to full Gaziano or Delos bespoke...

The more you learn , the less control you have on your spending and it is very addictive...

SF is worse than Meth.

I'm hoping to learn from your experience but I'm afraid I'll fail.
teacha.gif

My main problem though is not SF, but rather being a theluxstore junkie.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Enough? Never! I keep saying I'll quit ... buying odd coats & suits ... and even style forum ... but it doesn't happen.

I recently needed some new suit bags for coat/suit storage. I ordered a gross from a place in Brooklyn. Now if I order another gross ... all of my suits/coats will be in matching bags ... with a few bags left over.

You are approaching 288 suits/coats?
wow.gif

Hehlol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
when i was younger my friends and i have spent multiples of that at clubs. not hard, really...
One-upping on the Internet about spending more on alcohol in one night when you were younger. Wow. This belongs in the "these people really exist?" thread.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
You are approaching 288 suits/coats?
wow.gif

I'm approaching 60 years of age in the not too distant future ... and have been using the same tailor (plus a few others) for well over 30 years. The various pieces add up. I am also very nearly the same size as my father ... and have inherited a few of his better suits, odd coats, etc.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
when i was younger my friends and i have spent multiples of that at clubs. not hard, really...

Are you Joey Porsche?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hehlol
One-upping on the Internet about spending more on alcohol in one night when you were younger.

Wow.

This belongs in the "these people really exist?" thread.

touche. i guess you win - dick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads