• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

our favorite guitarists

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Could anyone explain to me why E.Clapton considered a great guitar player?
Every time I hear him lethargically strum his guitar I am bored, uninspired and unimpressed. What am I missing?

His band resume is very impressive. His actual guitarwork is kind of boring and generic white guy blues rock, though.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joey Santiago

blackgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
^Agreed ^ Heard them all in concert.

You didn't mention Yepes' development of the 10 string guitar that makes so many transcriptions possible and thereby creating the repertoire you mention.

Manitas de Plata was a savage animal with his guitar. He went into a trance when he played. It was as if we were sitting around a campfire listening to that Gypsy sing!

Segovia was a disappointment. Maybe it was a bad night for him. Sadly, he seemed to only be going through the motions and delivered high quality bookstore-browsing atmosphere music.

__

My Personal Favorite:
Rory Gallagher - A Favorite of Blues and Rock Guitarists Everywhere
__

Other Favorites:
Al DiMeola - A Double Espresso for the Ears
Robbie Basho - 12 strings and Zen Wrapped in Fringed Buckskin
Chet Atkins - You Already Know
John Fahey - Brought Steel and Fingerpicking Into Their Own in America
Leo Kottke - Fingerpicking Beyond Fahey
Dick Dale - Surf's Up, Kowabunga!
Christopher Parkening - Probably Segovia's Best Student

__

Jeez....I'm glad to see someone mentioned Leo Kottke!!!! I've got most of his stuff....John Fahey is great as well.

I'd also list Clarence White and Doc Watson.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I hear him lethargically strum his guitar I am bored, uninspired and unimpressed. What am I missing?

Just perfect, simple, blues phrasing.

Nobody's mentioned Kurt Rosenwinkel. Also Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall. Maybe cheesy but I like Larry Carlton and Steve Lukather too.

Edit: O dear didn't check carefully enough. Wes and Jim were mentioned. Also remembered Scofield. I once saw Jimmy Herring and he was fantastic. Love Mike Stern too.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest Clapton fan, in fact I think he's probably the most overrated guitarist ever based on his more recent work (I'm talking the last couple of decades), but he was pretty good, fairly cutting edge and influential back in his Cream/Yardbirds/Bluesbreakers days.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

There's a reason why he's called "Slowhands."
Originally Posted by Brian278
I'm not the biggest Clapton fan, in fact I think he's probably the most overrated guitarist ever based on his more recent work (I'm talking the last couple of decades), but he was pretty good, fairly cutting edge and influential back in his Cream/Yardbirds/Bluesbreakers days.

Exactly.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
His band resume is very impressive. His actual guitarwork is kind of boring and generic white guy blues rock, though.

+1000

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Didn't see these two mentioned before:

Prince
Robert Johnson

robert johnson was mentioned twice before you. once by me.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Just a given like SRV, Clapton, Hendrix, Johnson, etc.

i don't think anyone is a given. i don't like any of the players you mention there, unless by johnson you're referring to robert johnson, king of the delta blues.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i don't think anyone is a given. i don't like any of the players you mention there, unless by johnson you're referring to robert johnson, king of the delta blues.
Who would the other Johnson be? And the given is that those names would appear on a list of favorite guitarists, whether on your list or someone else's as they're some of the more important figures in history.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

You like Jimmy Page but you don't like Hendrix?
confused.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
You like Jimmy Page but you don't like Hendrix?
confused.gif

i had one hendrix album when i was a teenager, but i never really got into it. i'm not much into rock music to begin with, but i do like him more than clapton. the hendrix version of "sunshine of your love" makes it obvious who was the better musician.

i don't have a led zeppelin album either, but i do like their music very much, and page is the most creative rocker i've heard, though i wouldn't put him at the same level of paco de lucÃa or niño ricardo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads