• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscar Jacobson vest my new casual look

dressed2kill

Reaction score
I got this Oscar Jacobson vest 100% cashmere. Its very soft and comfortable.
I took your advice, and I'm wearing less suits for now, and fixed the crown on the fedora. The shirt needs to be tailored but I almost never wear it anyways. I think the hat looks perfect. Does anyone else wear V- necks alot or have Oscar Jacobson clothing. Also I'm wearing less pleated dress pants. Thanks for helping me evolve.

14323301042.jpg

14323404314.jpg

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking much better. Try messing with your collar a little bit so it looks more like this guy: http://polo.imageg.net/graphics/prod...tandard_dt.jpg And also try getting thinner sleeves, those look a little big on you. That hat is probably the greatest improvement. Looks waaaay better. I like how quickly you move, by the way.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Thanks westside, You have conviced me now for a shirt like that. Where could I buy a shirt like that?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're definitely improving.

I still think the hat's too big. You may have to give up on it and pick up a smaller one (or have it made). You can only do so much with steam, and though it's better with the crown lowered, you obviously can't do much more.

As noted, the shirt needs tailoring (where is from, anyway? collar looks huge, like Express 1MX). The shoulders are a little too wide for you, and the sleeves are gigantically blousy.

The shirt and sweater are both very blousy in the chest for you. Whether you want to get some weights and start training is up to you (though I'd recommend it), but in either case, you'd be better served by shirts and sweaters that fit snugly through the chest. You don't have to go quite as tight as the polo picture wEstSidE posted, but definitely in that direction.

As I said in the other thread, you're a skinny guy (don't take this the wrong way; hell, so am I). Fitted clothing looks better on everyone, but for skinny guys, it is an absolute necessity, because anything even slightly baggy is just going to comicaly accentuate your skinniness.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
I really need to get tighter fitting clothing, plus I was thinking of hitting the gym anyways. So much of It is so expensive. The only things that I drop over 400 are suits and hats. I know the hat seems ridiculus for a hat, but I found the best custom hatter that makes them for as cheap as 275 in pure beaver! Should I start getting new shirts or should I just have them tailored? If I had more money, being that I am in school and I haven't bought a hat or suit in 3 months. I'm trying to improve but the money is tough. I would also be getting more hats if I had the money. LOL

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
definitely better. you could spruce it up with a tie. other than that, there's nothing more to add than what the other chaps has suggested. and please do consider getting slim-fitting shirts.

Hanseat

Reaction score
On the shirts:

I think it heavily depends on the quality of those. If they're really nice shirt go ahead and have them take inthe sides and the sleeves. If they're not, consider it a start for Jantzen. Sorry, but you're complaining about your clothing budget and spend almost 300 bucks on a hat... I have absolutely no sympathy here for that problem. Don't get a suit in a while, spend the money on alterations of existing clothes (did the smae myself) and enjoy the effect a little tailoring can have.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Where would I get tight fitting dress shirts in 14.5 neck under a $100? I would really like one in white with a black or grey pinstripe. Remember I paid for my Education so I can't shell out the big bucks like the rest of you ballers can. Just 2 years ago my parents would do it, but not anymore. If you could give me some links with those styles I promise I wont consider it, I'll do It. Once I start my job and get some paychecks in, I'm buying those new shirts and new hats. The crown will be lower but 2 5/8 and 2 3/4 in a teardrop is my favorite brim size. Thanks for the help links please.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hanseat
On the shirts:

I think it heavily depends on the quality of those. If they're really nice shirt go ahead and have them take inthe sides and the sleeves. If they're not, consider it a start for Jantzen. Sorry, but you're complaining about your clothing budget and spend almost 300 bucks on a hat... I have absolutely no sympathy here for that problem. Don't get a suit in a while, spend the money on alterations of existing clothes (did the smae myself) and enjoy the effect a little tailoring can have.

I haven't bought a hat in awhile. Thats why I'm waiting for my new job. This hat has been my daily hat for a long time. Most of my shirts are ok quality. Some are really nice, those I will have tailored.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
By the way Hanseat, if you don't want to answer this you don't have to, but what military branch are you going into? I've always been really into studing military history. About a year ago I was thinking about joing the army but I decided it was not in my best intrest. As a hobby I collect police and military uniforms from Europe and other places.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dressed2kill
I really need to get tighter fitting clothing, plus I was thinking of hitting the gym anyways. So much of It is so expensive. The only things that I drop over 400 are suits and hats. I know the hat seems ridiculus for a hat, but I found the best custom hatter that makes them for as cheap as 275 in pure beaver! Should I start getting new shirts or should I just have them tailored? If I had more money, being that I am in school and I haven't bought a hat or suit in 3 months. I'm trying to improve but the money is tough. I would also be getting more hats if I had the money. LOL
If you plan on hitting a gym, stop spending money on clothes right now. Stuff you have right now is oversized anyway; some of it you'll fit into over time, some of it you won't. All of it should be servicably wearable, at least, and once you get to the body you want, you can start spending money on clothes. If you really need to have stuff now, there's always H&M and thrift shops. Assuming you will be trying new stuff, don't be afraid of color. Most people tend to be and stick to monochrome, and while it can be an interesting aesthetic, it is far more often simply boring. Right now, my main suggestion is to continue learning the basics (this doesn't have to cost much) and start developing your aesthetic from there. You're obviously interested in a sort of anachronistic style, which can definitely work, but you can't just pick up an old suit and hat and start wearing it. The effect is going to be strange and decidedly not your own. Once you have a better understanding of technical basics like fabrics, cut, and fit, you can start mixing your anachronistic leanings with much more modern aesthetics. Fit, in particular, is arguably the most important part of this. It is the difference between this:
15.jpg
298JABSignature%20Merino%20Wool%20Sweater%20Vest.jpg
and this:
bscap0003wv.jpg
bscap0059xb.jpg

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dressed2kill
Where would I get tight fitting dress shirts in 14.5 neck under a $100? I would really like one in white with a black or grey pinstripe. Remember I paid for my Education so I can't shell out the big bucks like the rest of you ballers can. Just 2 years ago my parents would do it, but not anymore. If you could give me some links with those styles I promise I wont consider it, I'll do It. Once I start my job and get some paychecks in, I'm buying those new shirts and new hats. The crown will be lower but 2 5/8 and 2 3/4 in a teardrop is my favorite brim size. Thanks for the help links please.
H&M or Jantzen. If you're planning on gaining weight, forget about Jantzen. Messing around with mail order made to measure while your measurements are continually changing would be a perfect excercise in futility.

CoryB

Reaction score
Much, much better. I think the look is far more stylish than the over-the-top look in the previous threads.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely pick up Manton's book The Suit. It has a chapter for young men that you'll definitely benefit from.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
D2K, I don't think you've enunciated quite what your style goal is, yet. So far it *looks* like you're simply trying to dress more maturely than your age would dictate. If that is the case, then I strongly recommend you venture into brighter colors. If you're looking for a Rat Pack aesthetic, you can stick with the monochromes but your cuts have to be impeccable, and you need to start drinking heavily
wink.gif
Seriously, the most important key to pulling off Sinatra's look is a level of impenetrable cool. I don't recommend chasing a '30s 'elegance' but given your impressive response to criticism, it looks like that's not your aim.

Drop me a PM if you want to talk military present. Can't help you much on the history piece.

Tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads