• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering Shirts from Modern Tailor for First Time - Buttons & Fabrics question

whereami

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying several shirts from Modern Tailor. I have searched and read many threads on here about this, but would like a refresher and some clarifications if possible please.

1). I really like the idea of a different color under the collar and cuffs. Should the color of the inside fabric be roughly the same as the shirt collar? I think contrasting colors would look really neat, but don't know if it's some kind of a fashion faux pas since I've never seen that in real life.

2). I understand Modern Tailor accounts for shrinkage by making the shirt slightly larger originally; however, I've read several horror stories on here. Those who have ordered recently, do you order a slightly larger size?

3). I understand that generally speaking, the two-ply fabrics are better than single ply. However, others have noted that some single ply fabrics are actually a better quality than other two ply fabrics and that it's a bit of a hit-and-miss. Are the single ply shirts really that bad? I would like them to last two years (wearing each shirt every two weeks or so before changing them). What about Oxford fabrics? I think these are built differently than regular two ply fabrics, so is it okay to get an oxford that is a single ply?

4). Is it okay if the buttons match the color of the shirt (I am getting the MOP buttons).

Thank you all so much!

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1). I really like the idea of a different color under the collar and cuffs. Should the color of the inside fabric be roughly the same as the shirt collar? I think contrasting colors would look really neat, but don't know if it's some kind of a fashion faux pas since I've never seen that in real life.
You've never seen this in real life? I posted this a while ago and the general conclusion was no, it's ugly.

2). I understand Modern Tailor accounts for shrinkage by making the shirt slightly larger originally; however, I've read several horror stories on here. Those who have ordered recently, do you order a slightly larger size?
It's really a hit or miss. Their customer service is good though so you can work with them if it doesn't fit correctly. Make sure your measurements are correct though.

4). Is it okay if the buttons match the color of the shirt (I am getting the MOP buttons).
So MOP on white? Why not?

whereami

Reaction score
Also, I have a very wide and developed back. Most shirts I own tend to blouse up toward my waist, especially at my lower back. Would darts help get rid of this problem? I want my shirt to fit nice and snug around my body.

On that same note, I am heavily into working out and fluctuate about 15lb down during the summer when I am cutting up for the summer. Would this likely warrant me buying a different set of shirts for the summer?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comments in bold

Originally Posted by whereami
I am thinking of buying several shirts from Modern Tailor. I have searched and read many threads on here about this, but would like a refresher and some clarifications if possible please.

Don't do it... It looks kitschy.

All of the fabrics shrink differently. Don't account for shrinkage too much. The first shirt will probably not fit perfectly, so don't worry about the fabric so much at first.

3). I understand that generally speaking, the two-ply fabrics are better than single ply. However, others have noted that some single ply fabrics are actually a better quality than other two ply fabrics and that it's a bit of a hit-and-miss. Are the single ply shirts really that bad? I would like them to last two years (wearing each shirt every two weeks or so before changing them). What about Oxford fabrics? I think these are built differently than regular two ply fabrics, so is it okay to get an oxford that is a single ply?

It all depends. MT fabrics vary so much, it's hard to say which is better. All I can recommend is that don't buy singly-ply fabrics in a high thread count. That is, unless you like ultra thin fabrics that you can see through. I've been happy with all of the fabrics I've chosen, except a singly-ply high thread count one in white. I have a striped blue and white one (2-ply) that is made from a really fine fabric that doesn't bother me as much. I would stick to two-ply for the finer fabrics, just to be safe.
Wearing a shirt once every two weeks will make the shirts last a very long time. 2 years should be no problem with any of the fabrics.

Yes, totally. The MOP buttons (thin and thick unbranded) I have are slightly yellowish. They still look nice.

Thank you all so much!

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of ordering my first shirt from MT, and I've been looking on some of the sale-fabrics to start with. The fabric p227 caught my eye as a good start, and I'm wondering if anybody have info about it? My plan is to take measurements from a slim fitEton shirt, and then get a button down oxford. I'm insecure if I should have darts in the back. I have quite a atlethic build, do any of you have some suggestion of what I should do? I also heard something about the button-down collars, and that you should ask them to move the buttons to get a nicer collar. Anybody remember what I should write to them? Thank you for all your help! Edit: I didn't see before now that this topic wasn't a discussion around the buttons and fabrics from MT, but a help-topic. I still hope it's okay that I post here.

Frihed89

Reaction score
Look at their "Shirt Show Case" (lower left after you click on products). Do the buttons look OK there. They don't really know how to make button shirts in the UK and I found that some Bespoke tailors wont even do them. I have wide shoulders; try the box pleats.

I agree with the others on the rest: solid colors and shrinkage varies. Maybe best to buy one shirt first and then work with customer service.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Buy one of the $20 test shirts first that way you aren't in too deep and can expirement with options/fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads