• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinions on vibram 5 fingers

centrix

Reaction score
anyone around using this? is it effective? been thinking of getting a pair for general sports purposes, and also to train running technique

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I bought a pair of these to explore the possibility of barefoot type running. It works really well for its intended purpose, and they are surprisingly very durable. It's kind of like having a Vibram foot condom. Not so great for running on concrete surfaces, especially if there are pebbles or rocks around... you'll still feel every single rock or pebble that you step on. If you are running on grass or sand, it will protect your feet from cuts while allowing you the flexibility of barefoot running. They kind of smell funky after a few wears, but they are machine washable.

mylesmyles

Reaction score

word

Reaction score
I like them.

Warning though, if your calves are already strong from cycling don't kill yourself on these shoes. I thought I'd be alright but apparently it's somehow different. My first run I was all "ain't so bad, I like it" next morning my calves seized up and I could barely walk around the house.

centrix

Reaction score
well thanks guys

Verso

Reaction score
I love mine! Everybody says "You'll recapture that fun childhood feeling of running barefoot" and in my experience it's absolutely true.

But be sure to take a reasonable amount of time to build up your foot and calf strength if you're new to running in them. And remember that a reasonable amount of time is always more time than you'll think it is while you're high on running endorphins.

First time I ran in them, I just did a few laps around the neighbourhood. Maybe 1.5km. No problems!

Second time I ran in them (48 hours later), I set out to do a 5km run. Around the half-way point I started feeling some real pain and eventually had to give up and walk back home. I could not walk without limping, or run at all, even in regular running shoes, for some time. My guess: metatarsal stress fracture. I ended up taking three weeks off running to recover. For me, that's a lot of time in the summer to give up my favourite form of exercise.

So when I could run without limping again, I decided that the Vibrams and I would start over on a more methodical basis. I took them to the track and ran three laps. Then, every 2-3 days, I would go add a lap.

I have not yet taken them any further than 10km but my plan is to eventually run a half-marathon in them. Adding mileage slowly is boring but ultimately much less frustrating than hurting myself and losing a big chunk of summer running time.

mikeharo

Reaction score
In my humble opinion Newton shoes are much better for the purpose of efficient running. Forefoot running has been called a "lifestyle" decision. I believe it is a decision to run more efficiently and with proper form, the way our bodies were designed to run. Forefoot running was around way longer than the gimmicks. Make the decision to run with proper form, then worry about the shoe. I have always been a forefoot striker and Newton shoes helped me tweak my form and find a better sweet spot for strike. Anyway, I'd rather have a shoe than a glorified sock.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New age beta male

Most likely a vegan. Probably wears Toms shoes as well.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked wearing them got tired of people looking at my feet when walking around the city or starting conversations about them so I just rock the flip flops.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair for running and climbing approach, and a pair of the leather ones for the gym.

In my spare time I enjoy spitting on women, insulfating powders and eating rare steaks. So no, not a vegan or Tom's guy. I do play ultimate in them though.

Glueeater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeharo
In my humble opinion Newton shoes are much better for the purpose of efficient running. Forefoot running has been called a "lifestyle" decision. I believe it is a decision to run more efficiently and with proper form, the way our bodies were designed to run. Forefoot running was around way longer than the gimmicks. Make the decision to run with proper form, then worry about the shoe. I have always been a forefoot striker and Newton shoes helped me tweak my form and find a better sweet spot for strike. Anyway, I'd rather have a shoe than a glorified sock.

i run on newtons. they literally force you to run forefoot.

Great shoe though, mine are wearing pretty hard near the front (where they're supposed to) after ~160 miles. I have a race this Sunday, so let's see what happens.

Vibram's always intrigued me though...

mikeharo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glueeater
i run on newtons. they literally force you to run forefoot. Great shoe though, mine are wearing pretty hard near the front (where they're supposed to) after ~160 miles. I have a race this Sunday, so let's see what happens. Vibram's always intrigued me though…
The forefoot / biomechanically efficient running choice is a lifestyle decision. The choice of shoes is a personal one. For me, Newton offers the better product. When I run marathons I'm always blowing by guys in vibrams at mile 15. I did not see one athlete with vibrams at ironman lake placid or eagleman this year or last let alone the number of olympic distance tris I've done. You don't see Crowie wearing foot condoms for a reason. Perhaps for shorter distance stuff they work. I am probably coming off overly harsh on them but when I walk into City Sports I can't even make it to the shoes before some college kid tells me how great they are and how everyone in his run club has become faster by using them. I guess long story short, they don't do anything for me, but I am a high mileage racer....Anyway, best of luck in your decision - you are headed in the right direction by realizing that forefoot running / solid form is crucial. Edit: you meaning OP..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads