• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

opinions of shoes on ebay?

raley

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on buying used shoes on ebay? I can see how slightly used suits/shirts and what not are okay, as they can be cleaned and what have you, but the idea of buying used shoes still kind of bugs me.

I have been looking for a pair of bit loafers and to keep them in my price range I have been looking on ebay. The only problem is that many of them that go up (all of them) are used, and I am not entirely comfortable with this.

Has anyone actually bought used shoes before? What is the concensus on this?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As long as they aren't heavily worn I don't have a problem with it.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it once. Did it work out? Yes. Is it ideal? No, of course not. But mine may have been worn four or five times, and really as soon as you wear them they feel like yours.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought . . . a bunch of used shoes on EBay (and this is just over the last year or so):

1 pair Silvano Lattanzi ($55-seller didn't know what they were)
6 pairs Edward Green (from $50-$200)
1 pair Cleverley ($400)
3 pairs John Lobb (from $70-200)
2 pairs Alden ($45-65)

Of ALL of these, only one pair hasn't fit (alas, the Cleverley's, which I'll either be giving to my brother for Christmas or putting back on EBay -- size 11-1/2-12 C). I know what size I can wear in EGs and Aldens and the non-bespoke JLobb's. For the rest, I make sure to get very exact measurements from the seller. By buying used (though I also buy new shoes on EBay), I've saved thousands of dollars on some awesome shoes.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only thing that worries me buying used shoes are fungus which causes foot infection (i.e. atheltic's foot).

Do you guys clean inside of the shoes before you try them on?

Fashionslave

Reaction score
I personally have no problem in buying used shoes on Ebay.I just got a pair of awesome black suede Alfred Sargents for $20.00,which may have been used once.I agree that a well used pair has molded with time to the foot of the wearer.I have a pair of Guccis that are a bit uncomfortable due to this,but in general,the bargains are there to be had on Ebay.As for hygiene,use the disinfectant foot spray.
thumbs-up.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm leery of "previously worn" shoes. I have bought shoes off eBay before but they were all brand new. I don't know...I don't need anyone's foot fungus. That's just me though.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried buying used shoes, but only to resell... I prefer brand new so that I'm guaranteed something that will mold to my foot.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearly all the used shoes I've bought on EBay have been *very* lightly worn. I think two pairs of EGs and two pairs of Lobbs had seen more than a little wear, but even those still had the original soles and heels. Perhaps high-end shoes are like Porsche's -- they generally have surprisingly low mileage because they're not used on a daily basis by most owners. Same for Lobbs and Edward Greens -- I'm guessing most owners have a dozen or two (or more) pairs of shoes, so the shoes, even if many years old, show very little wear as they're worn relatively infrequently.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
i've never bought shoes off ebay (not that i am opposed to it, just never saw anything that inspired me)...but i've sold quite a few on ebay. i always clean them and shine them before i send em out so they get to the buyer looking as new as possible.

Reaction score
I have actually purchased a number of pairs of shoes over the past two years. My comments:

1.) Make sure you see what the sole looks like. Only buy those with very light wear. Also, lots of the shoes that show up on ebay are store returns and sometimes have little holes drilled in the sole to prevent you from returning them to the store. I do not buy these because this simply offends my sense of perfection.

2.) The same for the inside of the shoe. Store returns sometimes have markings on the inside or have the label removed.

3.) On occassion, you will come across a pair of shoes described as worn "once at a wedding - My husband simply never wears dress shoes." Or. "I bought these for my boyfriend and he left them when he moved out."

These are the deals you are trolling for and you should be willing to pay whatever is neccessary.  

4.) Know your size by brand, stick to newish lightly worn shoes and you will be fine.

5.) Prada, Bruno Magli, Gucci, Church's, and some Ferragamo are pricy. Bally and Cole Haan, (including Bragano) seem to be very reasonably priced. Allen Edmonds seem to be just a little pricy as well.

6.) My best find? A pair of Wilkes Bashford mocha wingtips, worn perhaps twice for about $25.00, and a pair of Ralph Lauren bench made cognac colored wingtips for $27. (Also worn maybe twice.)

7.) I also got a great deal on a pair of Nieman Marcus black wingtips as well,($26-27). I am adding this since I notice the suggestions by others of focusing on the store brands. I readily concur.

Alex_O

Reaction score
I've had luck with used store brands
Barney's and Bloomingdales which are great for increasing everyday non suit shoe choices exponentially for very cheap .

By the way from what Ive done exprerienced even horrid shoes can with some polishing cleaning supplies can look very good. All depends on if they were high quality to begin with .

Btw I do wish I could hit a button and ebay would exclude all horrid looking shoes and all rubber sole trash, would make browsing much easier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads