• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion needed on Suit/Shoe Combo

brokelawstudent

Reaction score
Morning:

As you can suspect, I'm on a budget. Therefore, I am well aware ebay isn't likely the best place to purchase things. But, I bought a gray suit, and I'm thinking about buying some brown shoes. Do you think this shade of gray, coupled with these shoes, would compliment one another well? Thank you for your time.

-BLS

Here is a link to the shoes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123#ht_6074wt_1037

brokelawstudent

Reaction score
I highly suspect the suit isn't going to fit me as tightly as this gentleman depicted. Rather, I have very skinny legs. So, presumably, I won't look like the Hulk. However, your humor is much appreciated.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The color combo is classic and sound. Purchase with confidence.

However, it's impossible to tell how the suit is cut from the awful photos, and eBay suits are notoriously suspect. The problem is not the pants so much as the *pppphhhhheeeeewwwww* tiiiight waaaiiiist. Purchasing used shoes is also not something I will ever really understand. :uhoh: So I would not purchase these particulars with confidence.

I understand you are on a budget, but the disaster potential with buying suits off eBay to me outweighs any money saved. B&S here at SF is a much safer proposition.

Last edited:

pgmetcalf

Reaction score
Grey/charcoal is a good colour for a suit. Personally, I would avoid a patterned suit but that's because I'm a bit over weight. My own preferences for that shade of grey would be:

1) White shirt, dark blue or black tie and black shoes

2) Pale blue shirt, navy tie, black shoes

3) Pale yellow shirt, dark tan/rust tie, mid tan shoes

It may be possible to get away with greens or even a purple or pink. I would look through your wardrobe first to see what you have. If nothing you have takes your fancy and before you decide to buy something to go with the suit, I suggest you google a shirt and tie combo for a grey suit, then check out the google images. That's what I do

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads