• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Suit Pockets?

dclloyd

Reaction score
Whenever buying a new suit or jacket, I have always left the side outside pockets sewn shut. I'd never use them as it seems to destroy the lines of the jacket, so I figured that leaving them shut would make it so that I wasn't tempted.

I recently purchased a new blazer, and when I went back to pick it up after alterations I found that the salesperson had opened up the pockets, presumably doing me a favour. He seemed quite offended when I asked him to sew them up again, saying that this was the first time he's heard the complaint.

Now of course I'm paying attention to the pockets on other people's jackets! Is this just a new salesperson or am I the only one?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my case all pockets are used.

eighteennine

Reaction score
^Like Mr Kinski, I use my jacket pockets. I don't like to carry things in my trouser pockets. What about getting a bespoke pocketless coat?
biggrin.gif

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always have my breast pocket cut so i can wear a pocket square, but never the 2 bottom ones.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I use mine too. Stick a ticket in there. Or my phone. My hands more often than anything.

b

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use all my jacket pockets. I don't usually use my pant pockets, but they aren't sewn shut.

lbcgav

Reaction score
While it's your prerogative to prefer to leave the pockets sewn, I think it's absurd of you to have them re-sew the pockets shut. If it was that important, you should have notified the salesman of your desire to have them remain unopened.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
If I didn't use them, I'd leave my pockets sewn up. That said, I try not to put much in them - the ear bud for my cell phone in one and my car keys in the other.

pkincy

Reaction score
I use them seldom and generally prefer them open in case I do need to put something in them (typically the cell phone ear bud also) but I do leave them sewn shut on paricularly delicate fabrics, for instance bamboo, which will be absolutely destroyed if you ever put the slightest object in them.

Perry

yo!

Reaction score
I know what the OP is talking about, If you never open up the pockets they will always look crisp and the flap will stay down and even. Sometimes on an older jacket which has had its pockets opened the pocket flap will crinkle up and the pocket will move open and closed as the coat moves.

This is typically only a problem with 'cheap' suits. I know many people who keep them closed for this reason. However, I agree that it would be a little absurd to have them re-sewn.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them open. You never know when you're going to need a pocket.

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lbcgav
While it's your prerogative to prefer to leave the pockets sewn, I think it's absurd of you to have them re-sew the pockets shut. If it was that important, you should have notified the salesman of your desire to have them remain unopened.

TBH it's not something I would have thought of, I can't say that I've ever had a salesperson or tailor open pockets before. This wasn't my usual store, perhaps it just depends on where you go.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I lihe them open, and I assume the guy thought he was doing you a favor. Do you really need them sewn shut to remind you not to store things in them? How about sticking very thin, low profile mousetraps in each pocket?

kdaust

Reaction score
I agree with the other 'users'.

Jacket pockets should be functional. I don't walk around with my hands in them, but I certainly don't keep them sewn shut just to avoid the possibility that they might end up looking like they have been used...

It is clothing after all, and I prefer to carry things in my jacket rather than a bag if at all possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads