• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online sources for Drake's Ties?

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to buy Drake's ties online at either retail or discount. So far I have seen some on STP, Ben Silver, Barney's (1 model), and BG (1 model). Anyone bought or seen them from other sources? I am partial to the 50oz Royal Twill in particular but not too keen on the Michael Drake line (no clowns on ties please). I should add I am not opposed to buying from UK or Europe as well.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Trying to buy Drake's ties online at either retail or discount. So far I have seen some on STP, Ben Silver, Barney's (1 model), and BG (1 model). Anyone bought or seen them from other sources? I am partial to the 50oz Royal Twill in particular but not too keen on the Michael Drake line (no clowns on ties please). I should add I am not opposed to buying from UK or Europe as well.

They should be having a sale soon. I would contact their sales office, they might even send you a few jpegs if you give them some indication of the styles, weights and widths you like.

http://www.drakes-london.com/welcome.html

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it looks like there are 9 different styles avaiable on Sierra Trading Post..... i might have to try them as well

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few at Saks Off Fifth, so presumably Saks carries them(?). I'd especially encourage you to look closely at the Saks store-brand grenadine ties. Those with "MD" on the tiny fabric label in the narrow blade are made by Michael Drake and are very nice. I bought 5 at a SOF for $20 each.

My known online sources have already been mentioned.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

FNB - Have you ever bought any from the Drake's store directly?

At this point STP seems to be the best bet online. The Off 5th near me usually has the usual suspects like Ike Behar and Ferre but I will keep a look out for the grenadines. I could stand to add a dark green one to the tie rack.

Saks online doesn't carry any on their website. However, they have some house brand ties (no grenadines) for $85. This is lower than a retail Drakes so I am not sure if they have multiple contractors producing the ties or if it could be them, just to different specs and silks. I will head over to the one in Boston and see for myself. About two years ago I was in there and asked specifically if they carried Drake's. At that time they were only carrying scarves...maybe they got hip in the meantime? The new Barney's next door has the best selection B&M for me and they popup from time to time at the FB for $40. I will let everyone know if I come up with any alternatives.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Barneys, Ben Silver, Sierra Trading Post, Emma Willis (under her name) and possibly Vivre.com. All online.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

FNB - Have you ever bought any from the Drake's store directly?

Yes and they were very accommodating. They sent me group snap shots of about 20 ties after I sent an email describing what I was interested in. Probably an unusual request, I don't know how they'll react if 30 people ask them for that. Ties were more than reasonably priced.

I just got an email that their sale starts tomorrow and lasts until Saturday.

As luck would have it I got the banner from Drakes (London) this morning:

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Yes and they were very accommodating. They sent me group snap shots of about 20 ties after I sent an email describing what I was interested in. Probably an unusual request, I don't know how they'll react if 30 people ask them for that. Ties were more than reasonably priced.

I just got an email that their sale starts tomorrow and lasts until Saturday.

As luck would have it I got the banner from Drakes (London) this morning:

Interesting. If only my sister still worked in London.

RJMAN - Thanks for Emma Willis suggestion. At today's fx rate, less VAt its about $136, but they have a great selection. I might contact them to find out which are 50oz.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. If only my sister still worked in London.

RJMAN - Thanks for Emma Willis suggestion. At today's fx rate, less VAt its about $136, but they have a great selection. I might contact them to find out which are 50oz.

You dont have to be in London, they will ship. Bad news is I dont believe they remove VAT, if it's even on there.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saks online doesn't carry any on their website. However, they have some house brand ties (no grenadines) for $85. This is lower than a retail Drakes so I am not sure if they have multiple contractors producing the ties or if it could be them, just to different specs and silks. I will head over to the one in Boston and see for myself. About two years ago I was in there and asked specifically if they carried Drake's. At that time they were only carrying scarves.

I'm virtually certain Saks has multiple makers for their house brand ties. Some have a VII or VH on the small label, but salesmen have been unable to tell me the maker. Some of their house brand ties are too flimsy to be Drake's IMO.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I would update my question with an answer. Made it over to Barney's in Copley today during lunch to check out their selection of Drake's in person after not having much luck online. Was very pleased to find the majority of their Drake's on sale from $115 to $57. They have a large selection (~40-50) from both the mainline and Michael Drake's line (not my thing though). Didn't see any 50 oz twills but did end up with a nice woven tie.

FWIW they have a nice selection of Battistoni on sale as well.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be a bit careful with the Drake's that are on STP. They are advertised as "silk", but when I ordered one, it turned out to be 40% cotton. You wouldn't believe how wrinkled it was on arrival.

STP were great about it. I pointed out that their ad was misleading. Their response was to give me a gift certificate for the full amount and let me keep the tie, as it was too expensive to for them to pay return postage. So I get a free Drake's tie.

Buster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I'd be a bit careful with the Drake's that are on STP. They are advertised as "silk", but when I ordered one, it turned out to be 40% cotton. You wouldn't believe how wrinkled it was on arrival.

STP were great about it. I pointed out that their ad was misleading. Their response was to give me a gift certificate for the full amount and let me keep the tie, as it was too expensive to for them to pay return postage. So I get a free Drake's tie.

The drake's tie I oredered from STP was advertised as 100% silk, and it is indeed 100% silk. Is it possible to know in advance? Have they corrected it on their website?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads