• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Online MTM vs. RTW, wedding guest help!

bigstickz26

Reaction score
So I need a new suit for a quickly approaching wedding, im a guest, and I need to know my best option(s)! Two questions:

1) Of the main 3 online MTM suiting sites (moderntailor, thick as thieves, indochino) which has the highest initial success rate in terms of fit, has the best cloth/construction, and which has the most options? I've read a lot of good things on SF about TaT, but there seem to be a lot more measurements taken for the other two sites, resulting in a better fit I would assume. Also, their jackets seem to sweep straight down from the waist, and ideally I'm looking for that Brittish-cut "bell" from the waist (I hope that made sense).

2) would I be better off buying a $600-$800 OTR and having it tailored?Â

Any and all HELP is greatly appreciated! Yes, I have used the search function, but I havent found any direct comparisons to each other. No, my budget cannot extend $800. Thanks for all your infinite wisdom!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people, especially bloggers, post their initial Indochino suits. They almost invariable have to be sent back for a complete redo.

If you're looking at a quick turn around (quickly approaching wedding) I'd just do OTR and alterations tailor. You should be able to find something that fits your shoulders and then the rest of the alterations should be done within two weeks. On-line MTM could take months. At discount stores like Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th, Filene's etc., you should be able to find a Hickey Freeman (Vanguard is their modern cut line), Canali, or similar brand solidly under $800, probably in the $500-600 range before discounts begin. Adding significant alterations would still keep you well shy of $800.

Long-term you could consider Mytailor.com as well. Their traveling tailors hit a lot of cities and they have fabric books going up to very high end. I buy shirts through them and use the Thomas Mason and Monti books. They go higher from there and have a lot lower as well. Their suit books also contain very nice materials as well as cheaper stuff. Personally I don't like picking materials out on the internet. You can't feel them and can't see the texture.

Good luck.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a hard-to-fit body shape, I think option 2) is probably the better choice.

bigstickz26

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! I guess "rapidly approaching" was a little bit of an overstatement, I have a little less than two months, which all three of those sites claim to have suits to you before then, but a agree that it'd be nice to be able to feel the fabric an see how it drapes.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
why do so many wait till the last minute for help? unless it was a last minute invite.
and why do so many fail to show their location on their avatar.
it would make things go much faster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads