• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"One Camo Item" FC - Voting

Who rocked it best ?

• cerneabbas

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • denislcp

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • northernbloke12345

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • xeoniq

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Mr Knightley

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Lupin 3

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • mreams99

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • RajunCajun

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Time to vote, but who did it best ? Up to 3 votes. Good luck to all the participants. The winner will have the duty to organise the next Friday Challenge.

Entries by order of appearance.

@cerneabbas
1 cerneabbas.png

@denislcp
2 denislcp .jpeg

@northernbloke12345
3 northernbloke12345.jpg

@Clouseau
4 Clouseau.jpg

@xeoniq
5 xeoniq.jpg

@An Acute Style
6 An Acute Style.jpeg

@Mr Knightley
7 Mr Knightley.jpg

@Lupin 3
8 Lupin 3.jpg

@mreams99
9 mreams99.jpeg

@RajunCajun
10 RajunCajun.JPG

Mirage-

Reaction score
I have to be a contrarian on this one. I confess I just don't think camo works in CM, any way you try it. There is just no apparent practical reason (i.e. to an external observer), nor consolidated tradition, for wearing camo over tailored clothes - so it always looks incoherent, a novelty choice at best (when every other detail is right, e.g. @An Acute Style's attempt, which imo looks great despite rather than because of the camo) and a pure mismatch of outfit at worst. Even if we consider workwear to be CM, it isn't much different I think.
So I don't think it's a big surprise, in that sense, that the most coherent (all "tactical") outfit is winning by a lot, even though I wouldn't actually wear that unless I had a reason to.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is just no apparent practical reason (i.e. to an external observer), nor consolidated tradition, for wearing camo over tailored clothes

Beyond practicality and tradition, there is aesthetics. Camo is a cool print so it looks cool. Full stop. Somethings out grow their first intended purpose. Yes, camo is not a part of CM. Despite posting here often, I’m not sure that I am either. Too restrictive for my taste.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Beyond practicality and tradition, there is aesthetics. Camo is a cool print so it looks cool. Full stop. Somethings out grow their first intended purpose. Yes, camo is not a part of CM. Despite posting here often, I’m not sure that I am either. Too restrictive for my taste.
I'm sure we all know camo is not a part of CM, that wasn't the point. The question posed by this challenge, for those that approach it from a CM type of dressing, is "can people still make it work?". As of now, I am not convinced, although you may have done as close as it can get (I voted for you btw). But maybe the problem is I don't find camo to be particularly cool by itself anyway, so it is hardly possible I will be fully convinced by attempts to integrate it into CM.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Mirage- if you saw the Challenge OP, it was said that it was more challenging for CM guys, but that it was clearly open to SWD posters - that came in force. As the tradition is to start the FCs in the CM board, that’s what I did. But I always try to post Challenges open to both SF boards.
I mainly chose this topic as I thought it hasn’t been done before, as it becomes complicated to find an original topic for a FC now.

Mirage-

Reaction score
@Mirage- if you saw the Challenge OP, it was said that it was more challenging for CM guys, but that it was clearly open to SWD posters - that came in force. As the tradition is to start the FCs in the CM board, that’s what I did. But I always try to post Challenges open to both SF boards.
I mainly chose this topic as I thought it hasn’t been done before, as it becomes complicated to find an original topic for a FC now.
I don't think there's a problem in that, it was indeed a challenge from the CM side of things. The result doesn't necessarily have impress me, I just wanted to draw some personal conclusion from it.
Judging by reactions to my comment, it looks like I have explained myself badly, but my intent was neither to scold participants nor the organizer.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's a problem in that, it was indeed a challenge from the CM side of things. The result doesn't necessarily have impress me, I just wanted to draw some personal conclusion from it.
Judging by reactions to my comment, it looks like I have explained myself badly, but my intent was neither to scold participants nor the organizer.

I think you were clear and I agree with your assessment about Camo in CM not being practical or traditional. I just don’t think those should be the only criteria to judge an outfit.

I get a lot of flak for this jacket and how I wear it around these parts. If you don’t think camo is cool, then there’s not much to talk about with respect to this challenge.

Maybe Aztec print, kente cloth, or tapa cloth, etc. Granted these are more cultural but these also have no practical or traditional place in CM. Are they then inherently wrong or can CM incorporate them if need be in the 21st century?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lots of ways to look at camouflage and there are modes of cm that have incorporated the idea

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.00.24 AM.png
1919 chelsea dazzle ball

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.01.11 AM.png
participants

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.01.44 AM.png
dazzle camo baffles recon

imho a good challenge not met

Mirage-

Reaction score
Maybe Aztec print, kente cloth, or tapa cloth, etc. Granted these are more cultural but these also have no practical or traditional place in CM. Are they then inherently wrong or can CM incorporate them if need be in the 21st century?
I think they might work better indeed - they would actually have the element of being the "CM-equivalent" for some other culture - like the famous case of the New Zealand native refusing to wear ties into the Australian parliament and adopting some traditional jewelry instead, which in his culture was used in formal wear. Such outfits might make total sense to a native, and even an outsider would suppose the weird item is some element of ethnic dress and not think much of it, imho.
In any case, it probably has a lot to do with associations. Personally, if I see camo I picture the grim reality of war rather than the pleasure of nice clothes, which might be why I don't find camo very cool, now that I think about it.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of those are the least bit appealing or attractive.

Military dress is certainly an inspiration for men’s clothing but camo doesn’t fit into that scheme. There are better stylistic choices.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
None of those are the least bit appealing or attractive.

Military dress is certainly an inspiration for men’s clothing but camo doesn’t fit into that scheme. There are better stylistic choices.
I feel camo is very hard to incorporate, but does add style when done subtlety.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads