• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the Street in NYC....Brown Pinstripe

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Not too bad as a whole, but the suit looks very cheap.

!luc

I think that the fact that the suit doesn't look like it just walked out of Bergdorf's is part of it, and the man's, charm. Everyone (with the means) can get a really expensive, very well fitting suit, and it will fit well. Pulling off a cheaper looking suit which doesn't fit magazine ad aesthetics is much cooler, imo.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Him I know! He used to be (is?) the maitre'd at Cafe Sabarsky.
but..but..but..brown is for farmer and black is for waiter.

dear god, could Ernest have been wrong about something?

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that the fact that the suit doesn't look like it just walked out of Bergdorf's is part of it, and the man's, charm. Everyone (with the means) can get a really expensive, very well fitting suit, and it will fit well. Pulling off a cheaper looking suit which doesn't fit magazine ad aesthetics is much cooler, imo.
I have heard this argument before, but I think that it is misapplied in this case. The most common form that I have heard is applied to streetwear (e.g. if you've got money, it's easy to go into a well-curated boutique store - or even American Rag in LA and walk out with an of-the-moment outfit, but doing it with thrift is more legit/challenging). I agree that one could say the same about walking into Jay Kos or Bergdorf and walking out with a perfectly kitted-out look. But I really hesitate to give someone extra points for wearing an inferior garment that doesn't fit well. There are several reasons for this: (i) one can get good garments at great prices, either at sales or via thrift/Ebay; (ii) bad quality/bad aesthetics can be seen (and avoided) even when choosing only among cheaper suits - there are suits at lower prices that will have nicer lapels than his suit; (iii) he may well have paid a lot for that badly-made suit, buying at Etro or Hugo Boss (hey, he's Austrian); (iv) fit issues can be addressed by an alterations tailor, which is in most people's means. So while I can still give the guy credit for nice color combos and creativity in the outfit, I certainly don't see any extra charm in wearing a (visibly) cheaper suit. I would give him points if he were wearing a beautifully-made suit that he got for next to nothing - I am not saying that one should spend a lot to get a look, but when you undercut your look by wearing a not-so-nice suit, I don't find it charming.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricket
I have a brown pinstripe suit too. Never know how to wear it. Can think of pairing it with cream-coloured shirts and tan/burgundy solid colour/small motive ties and brown suede/leather captoes. Any suggestions?

What color are the stripes? You could pick up one of those colors in the tie. For example, if the stripes are blue, you could try a blue and red tie. (I really like red with brown.) Other ideas: A pink shirt might be nice. Black calf shoes could look natty ... So many options.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtieguy
I think the suit is a nice color on you and I do like the bowtie as well but not the shirt and pocket square the colors just do not seem to crodinate with the outfit.
At least someone uses the search function.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah why has bowtieguy been running around necroposting incessantly?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Yeah why has bowtieguy been running around necroposting incessantly?

Looks like he was goldmining for senior member status. Got whacked doing it, whether it was for lack of style or lack of English.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Looks like he was goldmining for senior member status. Got whacked doing it, whether it was for lack of style or lack of English.

C'mon. Don't criticize his English. He went to prep school, y'know.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown was never really my color, now tan I can pull off but not that dark brown it look good on you though I don't think the shirt matches to well.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite suit right now is this brown flannel striper . . .

P1010409.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's a sharp look (original picture).

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Not too bad as a whole, but the suit looks very cheap.

!luc

this has been said by a couple people in this thread. i have joined the forum for 2 months now and am still learning about clothes and fashion? How can you guys tell the suit looks cheap by just looking at the picture?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricket
I have a brown pinstripe suit too. Never know how to wear it. Can think of pairing it with cream-coloured shirts and tan/burgundy solid colour/small motive ties and brown suede/leather captoes. Any suggestions?

Softer, lighter-hued blues always go well with brown, IMO. The subject of the photo bears this out well with his shirt.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell

Um, spoken by a sockless avatar?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads