• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the hunt for boots $4-$500. Need recommendations.

Nicholo P

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently been looking for a pair of boots to replace my current ones. The boots I have on probably have another winter left of wear. Leather is starting to tear. I could have it repaired, but I feel like all the repairs will do is make it last till spring.

I've done some research and found Oak Street Bootmakers and Wolverines to be my favourites. What I love about the OSB's is the overall quality, construction, and the natural chromexcel is just beautiful. What I really love about the Wolverines is the shape. Basically, I want ruggedly constructed boots that look somewhat dressy. Gusseted tongue would be great. Something that annoys me with my current boots is that the tongue keeps shifting to the side. Is there some type of work a cobbler can do to stop the tongue from shifting? The only thing I really wish the OSB's have is the gusseted tongue.

I've tried on the Red Wing Beckmans, but they look too bulky. I've seen the Alden Indy and not really digging it. Viberg is just too much money for me. We get taxed 13% here in Toronto.

I put quite a bit of wear on my boots. I wear them about 2-5 times a week. My current ones are my go-to whenever I travel for work because it is the most versatile - dressed up, down, or with jeans and a t-shirt.

So guys, any other manufacturers you can point me to? I am considering getting the OSB trench in natural cxl, but just want to make sure I see a few others before I spend the money.

Cheers!

rbarthel

Reaction score
I'd check out the PNW boot makers, namely White's Boots Semi-Dress (or Bounty Hunter) and Nick's Custom Boots (I've been eyeing the makeups here: http://www.vermilyeapelle.com/collections/all). Also, I know you mentioned that you didnt like the 'bulky' look/feel of the Red Wing Beckman, but I feel like the Red Wing Harvester (https://www.railcarfinegoods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RW2943) seems like it's slightly more streamlined (It could just be the extra height and the vibram 430 instead of half commando sole that gives the illusion of being a less bulky boot).

The advantage of going with White's or Nick's (I recommend using http://www.bakershoe.com/) is that you have a decent amount of customization options available to you, for not much more than the retail price of Red Wing/Wolverine, with widely regarded better construction. White's lead time is a few weeks, Nick's a few months. Dayton boots is another option (with free shipping to Canada), but I read that their current lead time is like 5 months :( I like the look of their service boot.

Last edited:

Nicholo P

Reaction score
MONTHS you say!! That could work well, as I still have a few months of wear on my current ones. Thanks for the suggestions!

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You ever think about Alfred Sargent Kelso? I used to have these they were awesome, great shape, very good construction and weight.

Honestly at that $4-500 there's many makers in your range. **** I picked up some Trickers X End on rakuten for $160 that were basically floor model in terms of ranking. eBay is also another platform you can use.

Last edited:

RStevenson

Reaction score
I'm a big supporter of http://www.trumanboot.com

They're adding 3-4 more leather types this week. The price range is the same as OSB and they're made to order in a small workshop by just two guys, which means they can do all kinds of customization on request.

From what I've heard the quality is even better than OSB. If you want a dressy boot you can get a Dainite sole and if you're out in the bush they also offer a commando sole. The construction is stitchdown instead of Goodyear welt though.

Koreo

Reaction score
Feel free to email me at [email protected] about any questions if you are interested. We can do a gusseted tongue for a fee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads