• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamha21
I'm not really arguing your points....but I like blue with blue done in the most ways.
For sure, a chambray with deep indigo jeans in the vain of member Bobo can look superb in the right silhouette worn with style and confidence. In many cases the average guy opting for blue head to toe tends to look uninspired and one dimensional and that's what I was getting at above, especially when the silhouette is "blockish" from head to toe and there's no color contrast for the eye except the laces and soles of the kicks.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
wmmk- With the other threads i've seen you in talking about trying to look very ivy or NE prep and stuff like that, the super skinny jeans and newbalances don't really seem work into that. Same with the new (i think swear/schmoove) wingtips you bought. I dunno, just my opinion, since i was surprised to see how you dressed after your posts. hali- Did you lose weight? You're looking pretty skinny in that second photo. Not trying to be an insult, but was wondering if it was that or just the fact that it wasn't a macbook photo. Your girl looks like my friend's ex. Weirding me out a bit

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
2. Never wear a blue shirt with blue jeans unless you're a master of color. The shirt should be paired with Black jeans or a light blue wash in a slimmer fit (Needs balls though).

I seem to remember a thread where various people were saying blue shirt + black pants is one of those combinations that just doesn't work. On the face of it, there's no reason this should be the case, but sometimes there are strange color-matching anomolies like that.

But yeah, the only blue t-shirt I have I can only wear with my mid-blue washed Nudies.

One of my first WAYWTs:

Photo498.jpg

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I seem to remember a thread where various people were saying blue shirt + black pants is one of those combinations that just doesn't work. On the face of it, there's no reason this should be the case, but sometimes there are strange color-matching anomolies like that.
]

I'm presuming the darker color in his plaid shirt is black", if so black jeans would work, if it's Navy then yeah maybe it would look off.....color can be a major biatch!!!.

Halifamous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
hali- Did you lose weight? You're looking pretty skinny in that second photo. Not trying to be an insult, but was wondering if it was that or just the fact that it wasn't a macbook photo. Your girl looks like my friend's ex. Weirding me out a bit
I've lost a fair bit of weight.

2 jobs plus school means I rarely get to the gym anymore which was keeping me big.

slaani

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
You've managed to make some cool pieces look very average as an outfit...plus the haircut is extremely contrived for someone whom I'm sure does not worship Fall Out Boy or shop at Hot Topic.

Taken individually you could make these pieces work:
1. Gray tee's rarely look good under anything!
2. Never wear a blue shirt with blue jeans unless you're a master of color. The shirt should be paired with Black jeans or a light blue wash in a slimmer fit (Needs balls though).
3. Jeans fit ok (Average) they work with the sneaks (The sneaks are pretty awful though in a Pac Sun way).
4. Sneakers look like they were designed for a 12 year old. You can throw your money away on better sneaker brands than Ralph; he doesn't need any more money. They may look ok paired with the APC's and a white tee "slacker vibe".
5. Jeep's are cool when they work!.

There you go, I'm trying to be more constructive and less belligerent. 6/10

Couldn't have asked for better criticism. Thanks, Rye.

Black Cherry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
She is mighty cute, but how do you know she's his beard?

Does the pope *********** woods? To contribute to this rotting thread, here I am from New Year's Eve. Pose suggested and picture taken by my own beard.

1109loks8.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Hali I miiiiiiiiiisssssssssssed you!!

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
I like this. Maybe it's the choice of colours this time, but the New Balances are less obtrusive and more harmonised here. I wear my jumper sleeves similarly, so I may be biased, but good move nonetheless. Have you considered loafers? I got a sort of offbeat Lanvin-esque vibe from the way your APCs fit and wondered if they might suit - have you seen any of the Lanvin runway pics? By and large, my photos are shot using similar methods, but yours work better than mine. I'd quit apologising if I were you - they get your image across pretty well In Pylon's first link, there's a repost of a fit by ga-vroche a few posts down that perfectly exemplifies the belt tuck I suggested before. It works well for him and doesn't seem too precious. Have a look and then you can decide if I or the other guy was right. I do think it may work better with less fitted trousers, but it's all open to intepretation
Thanks for the advice. I tried turning up the ribbing on today's sweater, such that it hits mid-belt without any tucking. If it doesn't shrink in the wash, I think I'll just get it hemmed that way. Anyway, I also appreciate the loafers suggestion. I checked out Lanvin SS09, and definitely dig that whole aesthetic. Here are some feeble attempts at Thom Browne-y pants with loafers (pennies and all!) and oxfords, respectively (with the turned-up sweater hem):
E82G7368.jpg
E82G7369.jpg
Sorry that these photos are actually really bad.
Originally Posted by chronoaug
wmmk- With the other threads i've seen you in talking about trying to look very ivy or NE prep and stuff like that, the super skinny jeans and newbalances don't really seem work into that. Same with the new (i think swear/schmoove) wingtips you bought. I dunno, just my opinion, since i was surprised to see how you dressed after your posts.t
Yeah. I'm trying to satrorially represent who I am, which is basically a nerdy kid who really wants to go off to an Ivy, but also kind of likes listening to indie music, spending time in bohemian neighborhoods, etc. I know there's some inherent discord, but I'd like to to turn that into something interesting. Any suggestions on how to do that better? FWIW, I was wearing a blackwatch tartan buttondown under the perfect unadorned grey crewneck sweatshirt (
wink.gif
) in my last fit, which I think might channel the whole Ivy vibe a bit better.

oneblood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
E82G7369.jpg

No. Usually I appreciate your posts as semi-lo cash that is typically well done, however a big no to ever attempting that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads