• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Maybe slice the beef and fan it out on top of the pastry?

Yup, that would have been a major aesthetic improvement.

I think for the dinner I'm hosting in a couple weeks I'm going to just do the classic Wellington I made for NY Day.

Speaking of hosting a dinner...damn, a year ago can you imagine people getting COVID tests and self-isolating before going to dinner at a friend's place? And my wife and I will sit at one end of our table, they'll sit at the other, and I'll have doors open for a cross current. Cocktails and nosh on the patio under heaters complete the social distancing formula.

*le sigh*

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that would have been a major aesthetic improvement.

I think for the dinner I'm hosting in a couple weeks I'm going to just do the classic Wellington I made for NY Day.

Speaking of hosting a dinner...damn, a year ago can you imagine people getting COVID tests and self-isolating before going to dinner at a friend's place? And my wife and I will sit at one end of our table, they'll sit at the other, and I'll have doors open for a cross current. Cocktails and nosh on the patio under heaters complete the social distancing formula.

*le sigh*
Are you adding those people to your sex orgy pod

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just tried the Mexi style chorizo I made yesterday in a breakfast burro. I did my standard 80/20 grind mix and can say that apparently the stuff I buy locally made has a higher fat content. Also, not red enough. I think next time I make a batch Imma put in a cube of achiote paste.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just tried the Mexi style chorizo I made yesterday in a breakfast burro. I did my standard 80/20 grind mix and can say that apparently the stuff I buy locally made has a higher fat content. Also, not red enough. I think next time I make a batch Imma put in a cube of achiote paste.
ngl, the chorizo I have is like 30-40% fat. it's ridiculous. (and tastes great)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Think I'll cook it in some lard for the next use. I made 5# (standard batch size) so need to work it. I'm also 100% sure now about the achiote paste. I love that stuff in my cochinita pibil.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Heading our to cycle with a friend for several hours so beef shank stew in the crock pot now. The house will smell awesome by the time I get home.

1B0723B0-C33C-4153-ADEE-E5055F14A4B5.jpeg
CBC8775C-EC27-48A5-A12E-B174735AFB9A.jpeg
3133AE6F-262A-4CA4-9813-1404B506A6B9.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cooked my way through my first box from Home Chef. Thanks to an Amex Plat promo plus a new customer deal, I'm going to end up getting 11-12 meals for almost free.

Overall pretty impressed. Food quality seems a step above the Hello Fresh promos I have tried in the past. Produce has all been solid and they sent a pretty nice piece of salmon.

In the interest of making the meals quick/easy (both to cook and to package), they do lean a little more heavily on some pre-packaged items than I would like--e.g. 2 of the meals used some kind of "sauce base" pouch instead of making a bechamel or a roux or something--but the end results have been great.

Been nice because it pushes me to make things I would never have ever considered My favorite was actually this Kale/mushroom/pea biscuit pie (although I did add some leftover meat to beef it up a bit):
1610741382053.png

Will I keep buying after my promo ends? Nope...not when the meals are $9-$14 per serving plus shipping.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooked my way through my first box from Home Chef. Thanks to an Amex Plat promo plus a new customer deal, I'm going to end up getting 11-12 meals for almost free.

Overall pretty impressed. Food quality seems a step above the Hello Fresh promos I have tried in the past. Produce has all been solid and they sent a pretty nice piece of salmon.

In the interest of making the meals quick/easy (both to cook and to package), they do lean a little more heavily on some pre-packaged items than I would like--e.g. 2 of the meals used some kind of "sauce base" pouch instead of making a bechamel or a roux or something--but the end results have been great.

Been nice because it pushes me to make things I would never have ever considered My favorite was actually this Kale/mushroom/pea biscuit pie (although I did add some leftover meat to beef it up a bit):
View attachment 1536340

Will I keep buying after my promo ends? Nope...not when the meals are $9-$14 per serving plus shipping.

We’ve been doing meal kits regularly for a couple of years. My wife worked for GreenChef for a couple of years, so she wanted to familiarize herself with the industry. We have a ton of the recipe cards, and are now mostly just recreating the recipes.

GreenChef had most of my favorites, but they were acquired by HelloFresh.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So, had some locally raised, grass fed beef tonight, a NY strip. I'll pass. The fat was gamey tasting and the meat was overly lean and a bit of a chew.

brokencycle

Reaction score

View attachment 1536340

I don't know how these places will stay in business. Those prices seem way too high to maintain customers.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cheaper (and healthier) than whatever you are getting on doordash?

If you account for food waste and shopping time, maybe it isn't terrible, especially if you would have shopped at an expensive grocery store.

but that last point works against them. People don't recognize the waste so they simply see "I could buy that at the store for half the price AND have leftovers" even if they ultimately throw away half of what they buy (especially spices, staples, sauces...if you buy a $10 bottle of seasoned rice vinegar for 1 dish and then never use it again, that's a lot of waste).

I'm a cheapass though so I cant justify it myself... Maybe if they could bring the prices and packaging down by selling it as more of a weekly meal plan rather than completely independent dishes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads