• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

The CS rep who told you it "must be returned via mail" is incorrect, even if it is an "online only item," which I can't imagine would be the case considering its from the R&B current line-up and listed as a 'new item' @ $625 on the R&B webstore. It can def. be returned/exchanged in-store. I wouldn't go by what on-line division customer service tells people from these chain webstores. From my experience they are generally incorrect and haven't a clue of the stores actual policies/procedures.

While I agree that the online division is a joke (as l mentioned in my previous forum story), they are right about the policy in this scenario. I'm returning an online-only tie today - on the receipt it reads "Item can not be exchanged or returned in store"

I actually ran into this before as well. What happened was that the in-store rep was nice enough to mail it for me. But I still had to wait for the exchange to process/was deducted $10 shipping as you would be if you just sent it via mail yourself. The online segment of the company is very separate from the retail-store segment.

This is drastically different from Nordstrom's operations, where online reps seem to have a senority advantage over store reps. This means that they can assign actions to various in-store reps and ensure that the actions are complete.

My guess is that if you find the exact jacket in-store, even if it is a different item number (which it will be), you MAY be able to fight with a manager to get the exchange. Considering a $400 price difference and it goes against their policy of only doing item # to item # exchanges, I would not bank on this. And I promise that you will have no luck trying to exchange with the new online coat number - I have tried this before for a much more reasonable request (a $35 difference) and it failed (I also called back about 5 times and tried with different reps). If anyone has success with the latter, let me know.

IMO, it's not worth it unless you live 5 minutes away from a Neiman's store (I used to live 5 and 10 minutes away from 2 Neiman's, which is why I tried this out with other products). If that's the case, the low chance that this size exchange out might work might be justified. But I mean, Rag and Bone isn't the epitome of high quality (and there is already a lot of mark-up in their products, which is why they sample sale often) - You can go on Yoox and get a similar if not better value proposition without all the hassle.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless something has changed recently, NM stores will sort of do returns for online purchases.
I've had to take them to the customer service dept. They'll scan it and give you a receipt that show they received the item.
You don't get your return credit until the item is received by their online dept 1-2 weeks later.
I've not been charged any return shipping fees.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless something has changed recently, NM stores will sort of do returns for online purchases.
I've had to take them to the customer service dept. They'll scan it and give you a receipt that show they received the item.
You don't get your return credit until the item is received by their online dept 1-2 weeks later.
I've not been charged any return shipping fees.

thats what I do everytime I have bought an item from the online store and returned it instore, including various items which were 'online only' including Sundek boardshorts and various sunglasses... works everytime, so I wouldnt worry about what the reciept says.

Last edited:

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
30% off sale items at ssense EXTRA30
Too bad all the small stuff is gone. That Givenchy bomber
drool.gif

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thats what I do everytime I have bought an item from the online store and returned it instore, including various items which were 'online only' including Sundek boardshorts and various sunglasses... works everytime, so I wouldnt worry about what the reciept says.

While I agree that the online division is a joke (as l mentioned in my previous forum story), they are right about the policy in this scenario. I'm returning an online-only tie today - on the receipt it reads "Item can not be exchanged or returned in store"

Yeah I'm not sure what this issue is about. The two NMs I normally live by have never given any issues with anything. Maybe you just met the SAs at the wrong time. Nordstroms and Saks on the other hand, have not been as good.

And as for value/quality argument, it was either this peacoat or the Krane one and I need it by October and no sample sale will have it by then. And their outerwear normally wouldn't be down to $200 until the very end. And the styling on this one is my style.

Last edited:

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

Yeah I'm not sure what this issue is about. The two NMs I normally live by have never given any issues with anything. Maybe you just met the SAs at the wrong time. Nordstroms and Saks on the other hand, have not been as good.

And as for value/quality argument, it was either this peacoat or the Krane one and I need it by October and no sample sale will have it by then. And their outerwear normally wouldn't be down to $200 until the very end. And the styling on this one is my style.

I don't have any particular issues with NM stores. I do have issues with NM as a company and how it organizes its online sales versus store sales. They act almost entirely independent, and the online customer service reps (and the managers) have no authority to do anything outside of place simple orders and answer basic questions. Online customer service is getting pretty amazing (i.e. Nordstrom just released free shipping/free returns all the time), and NM is still operating like it's 1999.

I have had a few issues with regards to getting help at Nordstrom stores (usually because they get a lot more volume than NM and Saks). But when I call up for online orders, they are truly amazing. For a pair of Frye boot returns (special case - I needed the new boots for a concert I in that night), they directed my inquiry to my local general manager (which isn't exactly a McDonald's manager - this guy manages 3-4 stores in the DC area). From there, the general manager handled the issue personally, organizing the response with 3 different store reps. They overnightted a shipment from the store to me that day, and I returned my current order at my convenience. The GM called me a day later and asked if everything was smooth. Not that I expect Neiman's to be that good, but these guys can't even enter a price correctly on their website. And if you read the story I linked to, they will argue over basic math (which they did wrong), even if you explain it to them step by step.

On another note, I think the ultimate key to sales is to eat a lot, as exemplified by this size 58 pair of dress pants at 90% off. http://www.amazon.com/J-lindeberg-Mens-Mark-Dressed-Trouser/dp/B003X26ET8/ref=pd_sbs_a_3

Last edited:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is a rule about price mistakes. NEVER CALL!!!! whoever did ruined it for everyone else

Nopike343

Reaction score

I'm 6'2" 205 ... I got a 42 which fits perfect. I think you would need a 40. You can always order the 42 and if it is too big, exchange it in store for a 40. There's also free shipping with code SHIPNM.

Just received my R&B pea coat. I would say that these run small. I'm 6-1 and 195 and a 44 fits me like a straitjacket. The only part that fits well is the sleeve length. I imagine if you are shorter than me the sleeve length will be too long. BAM 13 I have no idea how you could fit into a 42. This is a heavy winter jacket that will keep you very warm.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads