• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

pvoytko

Reaction score
i have three barbours but recently had a conversation with someone who said that belstaffs waxed cotton was vastly superior to barbours

can anyone comment on this?

sorry if i already discussed/wrong thread

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any luck getting country attire to ship to the US? when I check out it says

SORRY, THE BARBOUR PRODUCTS IN YOUR ORDER CANNOT SHIP TO UNITED STATES! PLEASE REMOVE BEFORE COMPLETING YOUR ORDER!

Strengthening dollar + Lack of VAT when shipping to USA makes buying Barbour from EU stores vastly cheaper. I think the commander was $735 in the USA, but only 499 euro (which ended up being less than $600 once VAT was removed, even when the Euro was stronger 2 years ago).

As such, Barbour has made most EU stores stop selling to USA to fight the arbitrage.

damienos

Reaction score
Taken during January's Selvedge Run in Berlin. Wearing a Barbour International Original A7 kept me dry and warm with some layers underneath:) 1.8cm tall and 88kg size 42.
e4169b837cb9d8b7249c9250e61198f5.jpg
5d04eeb0f05148260f75380637216d16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChaoX

Reaction score
Anybody know if Barbour still sells its martindale jacket? I can't find it on its official website. Any suggestions where I can find one?

Expat Simon

Reaction score
i have three barbours but recently had a conversation with someone who said that belstaffs waxed cotton was vastly superior to barbours

Umm, don't know about Belstaffs being vastly superior. I've got both varieties and the Belstaffs seem to be less heavily waxed than the Barbours (when brand new) but they have a slightly heavier, coarser base cloth. I like them both, they're different but not dramatically, and neither stands out as better, at least in my experience.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it's a fair point for this thread. "Vastly" superior might be a stretch, but I would think they're somewhat superior. They should be considering the price difference, though if Belstaffs are all made in Britain then that might explain part of it. Barbour may be the the better value though depending on what you can get one for. Keep in mind I don't own a Belstaff as I've always felt they may be a bit too slim for me.

Taken during January's Selvedge Run in Berlin. Wearing a Barbour International Original A7 kept me dry and warm with some layers underneath:) 1.8cm tall and 88kg size 42.

Great look you're sporting there.

Griff777

Reaction score

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, in the market for an Ashby. Is there a difference in these two jackets? Why the price difference? Also, the Jcrew one looks brownish which is what I prefer but the site says olive. Is it just a lighting thing in the pic maybe? Thanks

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category...gclid=CPaMzO7PrcsCFUQbgQodh8AMHA&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.endclothing.com/us/barbour-ashby-jacket-mwx0339ol71.html?gclid=CLPKvJPQrcsCFYE8gQodnsIM7Q

The jackets should be the same. The difference you're seeing in color is likely down to lighting as I'd be surprised if they weren't exactly the same color in person.

The price difference is in part to pricing, exchange rates and probably more than anything the jacket from J Crew having to be imported. In my experience Barbour jackets at full price have always been higher over here.

End possibly won't even ship it to you, so you should note that. Also, if you are able to order the one from End you'll likely pay 10% in import fees. Still a better deal of course, but again I would think that End won't send it to you.

srsdelirium

Reaction score
Whats the word on repairing small holes on your Barbour jackets? I took it in to a local shop that has a full tailor and also sells Barbour and they said they didn't have any of the black waxed cotton to patch it with. I would rather not have to ship it all the way to Barbour if I didn't have to. I did see they used to make repair kits but they seem to be out of production.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all, in the market for an Ashby. Is there a difference in these two jackets? Why the price difference? Also, the Jcrew one looks brownish which is what I prefer but the site says olive. Is it just a lighting thing in the pic maybe.

Check out Kuhlman in Seattle, sale prices aren't on their website, but if you call the store they will tell you the sale price on items in the shop. Shipping is reasonable.

Griff777

Reaction score

The jackets should be the same.  The difference you're seeing in color is likely down to lighting as I'd be surprised if they weren't exactly the same color in person.

The price difference is in part to pricing, exchange rates and probably more than anything the jacket from J Crew having to be imported.  In my experience Barbour jackets at full price have always been higher over here.  

End possibly won't even ship it to you, so you should note that.  Also, if you are able to order the one from End you'll likely pay 10% in import fees.  Still a better deal of course, but again I would think that End won't send it to you.
Thanks. Just ordered from End and received a shipping notification within an hour.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodfoot