• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odd Trousers ... Sport Coat ... what collar?

CK__

Reaction score
When wearing odd trousers and a sport coat .. should I always be wearing a tie?

If not ... what type of collar should I be wearing. I've worn OCBDs before (without a tie) and I'm learning from this forum that it's not a great look under a sport coat.

When I order shirts off of proper cloth for use with a tie ... I get semi spread. Are these fine?

BlueSteel

Reaction score
No.

Why not?

Yes.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If not ... what type of collar should I be wearing. I've worn OCBDs before (without a tie) and I'm learning from this forum that it's not a great look under a sport coat.

When I order shirts off of proper cloth for use with a tie ... I get semi spread. Are these fine?
Do a search for @DapperPhilly for some exemplary pics of odd jackets with ties. There are several other posters who do this well but he is among the top dogs

SKS

Reaction score

No.

what type of collar should I be wearing.

There is no strict rule as far as I'm concerned.

Personal preference, normally depends on your preferred knot volume.

CK__

Reaction score
No.

There is no strict rule as far as I'm concerned.

Personal preference, normally depends on your preferred knot volume.
Sorry I should have clarified better. I meant worn without a tie, underneath a sport coat.

SKS

Reaction score
Sorry I should have clarified better. I meant worn without a tie, underneath a sport coat.

Then I don't understand the question. What's the problem exactly?

You absolutely can wear a shirt without a tie with a sports coat, just undo the top button. Or two if you are feeling like Hugh Grant.

As a matter of fact I see many local business people abandoning tie entirely and wearing formal black/charcoal/navy suits with just a shirt.

Retri

Reaction score
Button down is less formal than spread and would suit (no pun intended) a sport coat + odd trousers combo better; it would also look decidedly less out of place and keep its shape more firmly without a tie, especially if you have button dyslexia like me (aka, shirt unbuttoned all the way down the 2nd or 3rd button, depending on the season).

If you choose a button down collar you can also get away with slightly more formal fabrics, without making the ensemble look too stuffy, since the collar is already bringing down the formality a notch.

Ultimately, there's something about spread + large tie knots that make you look like you're on your way to a wedding and you might want to steer clear of that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads